Question for newbies? How would you answer this question from a user when she/he gets a lock message? (this is a Openedge Progress applicaiton)

• Question of the day?

User sends an email about the application giving more and more messages

"customer in use by XXX on WAIT, Choose Cancel to stop"
    Any idea what is causing these file locks as they are happening more and more often?

What is your  answer?

Here is an answer from one of my proj. managers:

I have no idea why we get these locks.

• The only answer is to consult the documentation for the application, or raise a support call with the vendor.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:16 AM

The only answer is to consult the documentation for the application, or raise a support call with the vendor.

John

Yes, however isn't locking a record a basic function of a database? There is nothing wrong with it. All you need to do is (there is tool in this application to show who is locking what) find out who and why is locking. Some people tend to open a screen reserve a record and go for lunch. In some types of applications a session terminating facility terminates the session and leaves a zombie, however most modern database engines tend to clear those as a separate process.

• richlion2 - Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:28 AM

Yes, however isn't locking a record a basic function of a database? There is nothing wrong with it. All you need to do is (there is tool in this application to show who is locking what) find out who and why is locking. 

I don't see the word "lock" in the error message.  But in any case you can't take it at face value.  Just because the application mentions something in the error message, it doesn't mean it necessarily maps to a similar concept in the database.  You have too much faith in the application developers!  You need the vendor to tell you the exact database condition that causes the error to appear.

Some people tend to open a screen reserve a record and go for lunch.

Having a database transaction wait on user input is horrible design.  Let's hope your application doesn't do that.

In some types of applications a session terminating facility terminates the session and leaves a zombie, however most modern database engines tend to clear those as a separate process.

SQL Server doesn't do that.  If there's blocking, the blocked transaction will wait until the blocking operation has completed.  Your application may well handle it, like you say, but you won't know for sure until the vendor (or the documentation) tells you exactly how it behaves.

John

• Still contacting the vendor and asking for an explanation is a better response than answering "I have no idea". It just doesn't look professional, I fear what the user must be thinking about who is working in the IT department. I'm just wondering if it's just my impression.

• Absolutely.  I don't imagine the user is going to think any the worse of you if you tell him what you suspect the problem is but that you need to contact the vendor for support.  That's what your support agreement is for, after all!

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply