Question about Management Studio and XX-bit versions

• Hello,

I would like to ask, where can I check which versions if SQL Management Studio is installed on a client?

My user cannot run the import tool, getting the error :

'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0' provider is not registared on the local machine

This tool which should be 64-bit is part of the SQL Server, which the user is not allowed to have on a local PC.

One of the solutions is to install "SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)".  I cannot seem to locate an offline version of the installer.

Threads I am following are here:

https://www.sqlshack.com/import-data-excel-file-sql-server-database/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt?view=sql-server-ver15#ssdt-for-vs-2017-standalone-installer

Can anyone offer some hints?

Kind Regards,

Richard

• I don't have time for a full answer, but the ACE driver is a separate install.

Take a look here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54920

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• SQL Server Management Studio is a 32-bit application - and therefore requires the 32-bit version of the drivers for Office based applications.  However, many are now installing the 64-bit version of Office and that doesn't provide the correct driver.

There are 2 possible solutions:

1. Install SQL Server (database engine) which includes the 64-bit version of the import/export tool
    2. Install the 32-bit version of the ACE drivers

Option 1 is a bit of overkill for a client machine - and option 2 will fail if the 64-bit driver is already installed.  However, you can install the 32-bit version side-by-side by installing it using the command line with the appropriate qualifier.  Depending on the version of the driver you are attempting to install - that will be either the /quiet or /passive qualifier.

Installing SSDT does not install the Office (ACE) driver either - and since SSDT is also a 32-bit application it also will require the 32-bit version of the ACE driver, and as stated above - Office x64 installs the 64-bit version.

Of course, you could also just uninstall Office x64 and install Office x86 - but that would not be my recommendation.  Especially since there is an easy way to resolve the issue by installing the 32-bit ACE driver.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hello,

thank you for this thorough explanation. I can hardly believe this:

SSMS is available only as a 32-bit application for Windows. If you need a tool that runs on operating systems other than Windows, we recommend Azure Data Studio. Azure Data Studio is a cross-platform tool that runs on macOS, Linux, as well as Windows.

Can you shed some more light on this?

2. Install the 32-bit version of the ACE drivers

So how exactly do this?

Download Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54920

Install it in Command Prompt?

1. Press “Win +R”.

2. Type “AccessDatabaseEngine.exe /quiet”.

3. Press Enter.

Note: A helpful commenter has informed me that for Access 2016 the switch is /quiet rather than /passive.

Kind Regards,

Ryszard

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  richlion2.
  • Not sure if you were asking for more details - seems you found the answer.  For earlier version of the ACE drive - the parameter was /passive vs /quiet for 2016.

My general rule is to install both versions of the ACE drive on a workstation - and only the x64 version on servers (unless client tools are needed on the server - which may be needed by vendors).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply