Question about backup files location on server and performance

• We have a server with 3 disks - C, K and L

C - the OS

K - data files

L - log files

Obviously, best practice is to store the backups on another server. But for now, we need to store the backups locally on the same server. Which disk is the best place to store the backups from a performance stand point? Thanks in advance to all who reply!

• log backups definitely the K. full and diffs - it depends, but I would not expect to have the space on my log drive anyway so I would say K.

It also depends whether these drives are physically separated, just logically partitioned, raided SAN or not, etcetera.

I would do full backups at quite times and unless IO is saturated not sweat it too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• What I have done is store full backups with the log files. you don't want them with the data files because they're the same thing and if you lose that disk, you lose both. If you lose the log drive, you can use the data mdf to attach back. If you lose the data drive, you have the log (tail log) and backups.

• Thanks very much George and Steve! Much appreciated. Have a great weekend.

• well, thank you for taking the time to feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• dso808 (5/19/2011)

Which disk is the best place to store the backups from a performance stand point?

Speeding up backups?

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Hi Ray - not exactly speeding up the backups per se, but just which disk is best to store the backups without it impacting overall database performance. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply