Question

• Can any one explain me the difference between an Entity and an object

• One more Question

When I read abt a schema. Its was saying that it is a colection of objects.

What r a the objects a schema may contain? It doe not make sense to say that it will contain DBs? Only thing that makes sense to me is a Schema may be considered as collection of tables. So according to def when he says objects does he mean to say that only tables?

• A schema may contain more than just tables. It could also have views, stored procedures, functions, synonyms, and other database objects.

• nawaz1774 (1/11/2012)

Can any one explain me the difference between an Entity and an object

You find Entities at ER modeling time - when you identify the entities and relationships of your system - please note that at this point you do not have a database.

You find objects as a result of the phisical implementation of your ER model, ER model will mostly help you design your tables and basic navigation (Referential Integirty based indexes). On top of those objects you will find a myriad of other objecs as already pointed by other poster, including but not limited to triggers, procedures, views... etc. In short, anything that has a name on the catalog is an object.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • i like to use a company and contact as examples.

a Company is an entity.

a table describing that entity, might include fields for the name, address, website and more.

then an employee of that same company would e an Entity or sub-entity.

from that i might develop a table that describes the employee's attributes: name, start date, date of birth, contact email, and stuff like that.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply