Query to select records from Xml column

• Hello Sir/Madam

I have following Xml in Job table which column name is JobXml (Xml datatype)

<Job>

<TimeID Value="2323"/>

<TimeID Value="4445"/>

<TimeID Value="3453"/>

<TimeID Value="7677"/>

</Job>

I want to write a select query who returns all TimeID Value like this

Please give me the query to select these records.

Currently I am using following query but it returns only one TimeID value:

select JobXml.value('(/Job/TimeID/@Value)[1]','int') from Job

Please help me.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• SELECT r.value('@Value','int')

FROM Job

CROSS APPLY JobXml.nodes('/Job/TimeID') AS x(r)

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Thank you very much. It works. What a nice query!!!!

You are great!!! (champs of SQL Server) 🙂

• Hello Expert,

Same above scenario i have...i have a table in which one column xmldata(having datatype xml) contain data in xml format, as given below:

<Employee>

<EMPID>1</EMPID>

<EMPNAME>AAA</EMPNAME>

<EMPSALARY>2000.00</EMPSALARY>

<DEPTID>1</DEPTID>

</Employee>

Now i have to read this xml data and display it with respective column names..like

EMPID EMPNAME EMPSALARY DEPTID

1 AAA 2000.00 1

please help..

Thanks in advance...

reagrds,

Avi

• Hi Avi

To get the elements out of your XML you can use this:

DECLARE @xml XML

SELECT @xml = N'<Employee>

<EMPID>1</EMPID>

<EMPNAME>AAA</EMPNAME>

<EMPSALARY>2000.00</EMPSALARY>

<DEPTID>1</DEPTID>

</Employee>'

SELECT

T.C.value('(EMPID)[1]', 'int')

,T.C.value('(EMPNAME)[1]', 'nvarchar(20)')

,T.C.value('(EMPSALARY)[1]', 'decimal(15,5)')

,T.C.value('(DEPTID)[1]', 'int')

FROM @xml.nodes('Employee') T(C)

If you have to apply this to your table, have a look for CROSS APPLY with XML.

Greets

Flo

• Hello Everyone,

I have same requirement as the above one please look into it and suggest me the solution.

I have a table with 4 columns. out of which first three columns are nvarchar and last column is XML type.

Table Structure is given below,

FName        LName       Gender         ItemPriceTag
     A1                 B1              M              (Item = "Soap"   Price=23), (Item = "Ball"   Price=31), (Item = "Book"   Price=98)
    A2                 B2              F              (Item = "Soap"   Price=45), (Item = "Ball"   Price=19), (Item = "Book"   Price=45)
    A3                 B3              M              (Item = "Soap"   Price=12), (Item = "Ball"   Price=11), (Item = "Book"   Price=18)
    A4                 B4              F               (Item = "Soap"   Price=54), (Item = "Ball"   Price=65), (Item = "Book"   Price=98)

I am stroring my first 3 columns as nvarchar, I want to store last column as XML type, becuase it may contain the data upto 250 items.

My first question is what is the proper structure to store the data in XML format. i am using the below format, I feel that is wrong, please look into it and suggest me whether it is correct or wrong. If it is wrong, please suggest the proper way to store the data.

for XML column im storing data as, (Since i am concerned on last column, i am mentioning only last column)
    <ItemPriceTag><Item= "Soap"><Price>23</Price></ItemPriceTag>
    <ItemPriceTag><Item= "Ball"><Price>31</Price></ItemPriceTag>
    <ItemPriceTag><Item= "Book"><Price></Price></ItemPriceTag>.   this is for first row

<ItemPriceTag><Item= "Soap"><Price>45</Price></ItemPriceTag>
    <ItemPriceTag><Item= "Ball"><Price>19</Price></ItemPriceTag>
    <ItemPriceTag><Item= "Book"><Price>45</Price></ItemPriceTag>  this is for 2nd row  .......etc

Second question is, I want to display each item as a column name and price as its value.
    For eg:

FName        LName       Gender         Soap       Ball        Price
     A1                 B1              M              23            31          98
    A2                 B2              F                45           19           45
    A3                 B3              M               12            11          18
    A4                 B4              F               54            65           98

Please suggest me the table structure and solution for the above requirement.

Thanks in advance,
    Nagaraj

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply