query to delete 'almost' duplicate rows

• I have a table that has 5 columns. Two of the columns, 'ObjectId' and 'DataKey' uniquely identify information, but are not used in a key or index of any kind. A third column is an identity column.

I want to be able to delete rows that have duplicate 'ObjectId' and 'DataKey' values, being sure to leave the row with the most recent (greatest) identity value. I can use this:

select distinct

ObjectId,

DataKey

from MyTable

to get only the non-duplicates, but how can I be sure to delete the duplicate rows leaving the one with the greatest identity value?

Thanks

• delete

from MyTable

where exists (select * from MyTable t

where t.ObjectId=MyTable.ObjectId

and t.DataKey=MyTable.DataKey

and t.IdentCol>MyTable.IdentCol)

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • Thanks Mark,

I'm a newbie with SQL, so forgive the ignorance. I don't really understand why that query works. I ran just the 'select' portion to see if it returned the records that would be deleted - but it returned nothing. Can you explain what's happening in that query?

Thanks again.

• If you run this

select *

from MyTable

it should show you the rows that are to be deleted. The query simply returns rows where there is at least one other (different) row of the same ObjectId and DataKey, but with a higher identity column value. If you're not getting anything, try posting some sample data.

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • OK, I think I've got it.

In my test to show the records that would be deleted, I ran only the select subquery:

select * from MyTable t

and t.IdentCol>MyTable.IdentCol

I didn't use the query:

select *

from MyTable

Thanks again.

• Little hint for future posts. Use "[code]" instead of "<code>" to post source code. Hml-tags will be miss-interpreted. 😉

• DELETE MyTable FROM (SELECT IdentityColumn,DENSE_RANK() OVER(PARTITION BY ObjectId,DataKey ORDER BY NEWID()) 'Rank' FROM MyTable) MyTable1

WHERE MyTable.IdentityColumn =MyTable1.IdentityColumn

AND MyTable1.Rank > 1

• Thanks Pandian,

I tried that query...it appears that it doesn't leave the record with the greatest identity value and remove the rest. I think the lowest identity value was the one kept and others were deleted.

• I changed the query to

DELETE MyTable FROM

(SELECT IdentityColumn,DENSE_RANK() OVER(PARTITION BY ObjectId,DataKey ORDER BY IdentityColumn DESC) 'Rank'

FROM MyTable) MyTable1

WHERE MyTable.IdentityColumn = MyTable1.IdentityColumn

AND MyTable1.Rank > 1

and that appears to work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply