Query Stalls - Upgrade from 2000 to 2005

• Thank you all for your help during this upgrade, yikes!!!

I'm getting yet another query that is stalling out.

This query has ALWAYS worked. Last week we fixed our statistics and it ran. Now I'm just watching the elapsed time.

I don't know of anything that has changed, any ideas what I can/should do?

Select

Count(*)

From

dbo.tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR

Left Join

OpenQuery(Alpha,'

Select

JCTMST.CCONO As Job_Co

, JCTMST.CDVNO As Job_Div

, JCTMST.CJBNO As Main_Job_No

, JCTMST.CSJNO As Sub_Job_No

, JCTMST.CJCDI As JCT_JCD

, LTrim(RTrim(JCTMST.CJCS1)) As JCD_Seg1

, LTrim(RTrim(JCTMST.CJCS2)) As JCD_Seg2

, LTrim(RTrim(JCTMST.CJCS3)) As JCD_Seg3

From JCTMST

Where (JCTMST.CCSTY = ''L'')

') As Job_Mst

On tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Job_Co = Job_Mst.Job_Co

And tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Job_Div = Job_Mst.Job_Div

And tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Main_Job_No = Job_Mst.Main_Job_No

And IsNull(tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Sub_Job_No, '') = LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(Job_Mst.Sub_Job_No, '')))

And LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.JCD_Seg1, ''))) = LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(Job_Mst.JCD_Seg1, '')))

And LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.JCD_Seg2, ''))) = LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(Job_Mst.JCD_Seg2, '')))

And LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.JCD_Seg3, ''))) = LTrim(RTrim(IsNull(Job_Mst.JCD_Seg3, '')))

Where

(tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.WeekEnding = '3/15/2012')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.PR_Status <> 'U')

And (Job_Mst.JCT_JCD Is Null)

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'CU')

/* And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> ''EA'') Pay Type to show in list */

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'HL')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'NC')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'OC')

/* And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> ''OV'') Pay Type to show in list */

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'PD')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'PP')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'PS')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'PT')

/* And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> ''RT'') Pay Type to show in list */

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'SO')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'SR')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'SU')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'TO')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'TR')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'UP')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'VA')

And (tbl_TimeCard_Upload_PR.Pay_Type_ID <> 'VU');

• Does updating stats again fix it?

If so, probably this: http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2011/03/22/statistics-row-estimations-and-the-ascending-date-column/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • How many Pay_Type_ID are left? Because it might make more sense to put in the remaining values as = with a few OR clauses rather than that really long long list of greater or less than. Also, what about using a derived table to select those values and do an outer join against it and eliminate values.

However, if you're not regularly updating statistics, that might be the issue.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Yes Gail...

Updating the stats worked and the query ran in just a few seconds. Sigh...

So my next question is should I / can I modify the Stored Procedure to update statistics prior to the query running.

I could use UPDATE STATISTICS or execute sp_updatestats

Thoughts?

• No, that would probably not be a particularly good thing to do. I'd recommend create a job that updates stats on that table with fullscan and schedule it every night.

See the blog post I referenced for cause.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Oh I read your blog before replying. Nice job by the way.

Since we just upgraded I'm not sure now often (or if) the admin is running Update Statistics. Regardless I'll ask him to schedule it nightly which it appears will solve the problem.

I was just wondering if I could run it after inserting a large batch of new records. This actually happens weekly.

Again you have my deep thanks,

• Ken at work (3/20/2012)

I was just wondering if I could run it after inserting a large batch of new records. This actually happens weekly.

Oh, if you're only adding data once a week, then just put an UPDATE STATISTICS for that table in whatever job/process is doing the insert, just after the insert completed and don't do any other stats update on that table.

Gail Shaw

• Grant,

There are quite a few pay types. However I've already started looking to reduce the Where clause.

I was also looking at a temp table for the OpenQuery...

Thank you,

• Ken,

You're on the right path if you select from the OPENQUERY into a temp table and use that from there on out. I found out long ago that doing a join to a linked server was not a good idea.

If the number of pay codes you want to include is less than the ones you want to exclude, then you could use an IN type construct:

WHERE PayCode IN ('AB', 'AC'...)

Likewise if the number of pay codes to exclude is less you could use:

WHERE PayCode NOT IN ('AB', 'AC'...)

I think it at least would be easier to read.

Todd Fifield

• The on-going saga of upgrading to SQL2005, sigh...

Now the DBA is updating statistics nights. On the table (tbl_PR) that has a bulk import the Stored Procedure executes and update statistic on that table after the import. Life is good.

The table (tbl_FM) where the records originate from for the bulk import have records inserted thought out several days with one or two days of the week being the heaviest. Even though the Statistics are updated nightly, even within the day this table becomes unreadable (takes forever) especially when joined with other tables. Life hurts!

Can you update statistics on a table when it is possible that someone may be inserting one to several hundred records.

I find it difficult to accept that this table is unusable until the next day, which by the way, it works great in the morning and doesn't work in the late afternoon as more and more records are inserted.

Ideas?

• I've heard of cases where stats get updated hourly.

p.s. Make sure your DBA is updating stats with fullscan at night, not running something like sp_updatestats.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks,

I may have to try that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply