Query regarding SSRS report server

• I want to make my machine report server.Can I do this only when I have windows server on my machine.

• Yes, you will have to walk through the Windows feature install to get IIS installed but then you should be all set. When you go through the reporting services install it will review the system configuration and tell you all the things that are lacking. Make sure you address all those items prior to going through the install and you should have no problems.

Side note, since you do not have SQL Server loaded on that server you will need to have a defined location for the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB databases that it creates at the time of installation. It works just fine having those on a "remote" SQL Server.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks David

• Manish Sinha (7/12/2008)

I want to make my machine report server.Can I do this only when I have windows server on my machine.

If you want your machine to be a Report Server, then you should make it a Windows Server.

If you just want to be able to create and deploy/publish SSRS reports, then you only need 2 things, neither of which requires Windows Server, and they don't have to be on the same machine if you already have 1 of them running somewhere else.

1. A SQL Server instance for the SSRS engine. Developer Edition is best, but the Express Edition will host it as well. You also definitely want 2005 or 2008.

2. IIS to run the reports.

I have done this on Vista machines as well as XP SP2 machines. If you have the resources, they run fine.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply