query plan issues

• has anyone else seen issues in estimated (and occasionally actual) query plans ?

I can't really run some of the procs I have without doing a begin tran/rollback tran combination  - and the ones i'm trying to fix can take up to half an hour...

so  looking at the plan, there are  sections of it where the cost is maybe 33% but there are maybe 10 nodes in the plan that have 33% which makes no sense - that means 330% (i'm picking random figures here)

I normally start performance tuning by going to the top right operation on the plan and then keep hunting left and then scrolling back and down until I find something I don't like  (like a remote scan, index scan, bookmark lookup or a function call) - it's a pain in the bum if the % value are all the same... makes it hard to prioritise quick fixes (like a missing index)

anyone else seen this ?

MVDBA

• Does the plan go parallel?

😎

The cost aggregation has never been proper or accurate, something that M$ needs to work on 😉

• I haven't factored in the parallelism issue so far - but yes, a lot of the time "part" of the plan goes parallel, I was kinda thinking it might have  been related to linked servers - before you ask... you do not want to see the query plan... i'm just attacking it a bit at a time, but here is an example of where "part" of it goes parallel.

Capture

I did not write this code, i'm just trying to fix it - and yes I can see the index scan and the key lookup... I hate legacy code, I hate functions, I hate cursors, I hate code that has been bodged for 10 years without a DBA around to get 3nf

MVDBA

• I'm not kidding about the plan by the way - I picked the 2 main elements and set them to fit to screen

Capture

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

before you ask... you do not want to see the query plan...

Now you've said that, we want to see the query plan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply