Query for column to row.

• How to convert the columns to row. Below is an eg.

need to get the list of names for a group in a comma separated.

I have a table

id name

-----------

1 test

2 again

1 work

2 better

i want the result should be

result:

id list(name)

-----------------

1 test ,work

2 again ,better

• Is the "ID" column from another table that lists the valid values? If so, that makes the query a little bit simpler.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• One way to get related items into a delimited column is using a sub-select and for xml clause. This involves the awkward problem of stripping off the leading or trailing seperator, and in this example I'm solving that by using the substring function to return all but the first character.

select

m.productmodelid,

substring(

(

select ', ' + name

from adventureworks.production.product as p

where p.productmodelid = m.productmodelid for xml path('')

)

,3,8000) as product_name

from adventureworks.production.productmodel m

where m.productmodelid in (1,2,3);

productmodelid product_name

-------------- ------------

1 Classic Vest, S, Classic Vest, M, Classic Vest, L

2 AWC Logo Cap

3 Full-Finger Gloves, S, Full-Finger Gloves, M, Full-Finger Gloves, L

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• How about something like this based on your sample data:

declare @testtab table (

id int,

name varchar(10)

);

insert into @testtab

values (1, 'test'),

(2, 'again'),

(1, 'work'),

(2, 'better');

select

id,

name

from

@testtab;

with UniqueIds as (

select distinct

id

from

@testtab

)

select

ui.id,

stuff((select ', ' + tt.name from @testtab tt where tt.id = ui.id for xml path('')),1,2,'') as ListName

from

UniqueIds ui

;

The code above is SQL Server 2008 since this is the forum posted.

• Is it possible to retrieve it in a single query? Please note i'm having dynamic values in the record... but fixed ten columns only

I've just tried to create xml and using xquery i have converted it to columns from rows. But i couldnt able to join table valued function..

Could you possibly let me know whether we can able to achieve it in some scenario?

• vinothraj (12/28/2010)

Is it possible to retrieve it in a single query? Please note i'm having dynamic values in the record... but fixed ten columns only

I've just tried to create xml and using xquery i have converted it to columns from rows. But i couldnt able to join table valued function..

Could you possibly let me know whether we can able to achieve it in some scenario?

Not sure what you are talking about. The problem you are relating does not appear related to the OPs original question. I suggest posting in a new thread providing as much detail as possible including DDL for tables, sample data, expected results based on sample data, and what you have tried so far to solve your problem.

• Lynn Pettis (12/28/2010)

Not sure what you are talking about. The problem you are relating does not appear related to the OPs original question. I suggest posting in a new thread providing as much detail as possible including DDL for tables, sample data, expected results based on sample data, and what you have tried so far to solve your problem.

Ok, Just let me know whether its possible to generate the required records in a single query? Please take the original posting as given input.

• vinothraj (12/29/2010)

Lynn Pettis (12/28/2010)

Ok, Just let me know whether its possible to generate the required records in a single query? Please take the original posting as given input.

Please post a sample (based on the given input in the first post) whre Lynns solution would fail.

I agree with Lynn: you're dealing with a different scenario. So you should start a new thread providing the information already requested.

As a side note: taking the table setup aside, Lynns solution IS a single query....

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply