Query error

• The manager has a HUGE SQL query that she likes to run on a monthly basis. The query is 40 pages of select statements.

Until now, it has been working fine. We recently brought the patches on the server up to date.

We are running SQL 2000 on a 4 CPU Compaq server. When I run the query directly on the server...no problem. When I run it on a client machine I get the following error:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unknown token received from SQL Server

Connection Broken

Our desktops are fairly new. We run 100 base t. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Midnight on the bridge

Icy wind and yellow moon

rising. No wetsuit.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• I've seen this before, but when trying to execute for xml statements in QA with show plan on.

When you say "directly on the server" what do you mean? Enterprise Manager or Query Analyser or the same code as your application running locally? What version of MDAC do you have and does SQL have an Instance Name? Could you include the connection string (change unames, servernames and passwords for your protection)? How are you returning these 40 queries? One big union? 40 nextrecordset statements? ADO, ADO.NET etc?

Keith Henry

DBA/Developer/BI Manager

Keith Henry

According to everyone I know I "do something with computers?" for a living, so there you go.

• Directly on the server means running the 40 pages of select statements in query analyzer on the server. Mdac version is 7.6 sp2.

Yes we use an instance name. The select statements generate separate results. They are not 'unioned' together. I have tried saving the results to a text file and letting them display in QA. On client desktops the query runs for a few minutes and then dies. On the server it runs successfully.

I suspect one of our new patches mucked up the Mdac. Something like this happened on SQL 7.0 according to sqlmag.com

Midnight on the bridge

Icy wind and yellow moon

rising. No wetsuit.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

• The Mdac version was the problem. When I updated to 2.7 SP1 Refresh, the problem vanished.

Midnight on the bridge

Icy wind and yellow moon

rising. No wetsuit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply