query analyzer - "show execution plan"

• hi folks!

this is actually not a question but something i recently ran into. i've been using "show execution plan" for years with MSSQL7, switched to MSSQL2K and suddenly found the values shown as cost (% and actual) absolutely stupid (just 0% or 100%, nothing did sum up correctly and so on).

had a look at "set showplan_all on" and that gave me the hint: i'm using german system locale but english MSSQL tools (don't want to mess around with stupid translations) -> obviously the graphical explain cannot cope with decimal separators other than ".", but in german you use ",".

switching your locale to englisch gives you proper values in the graphical execution plan. maybe someone will find this useful.

best regards,

chris.

• Hi Cneuhold, thanks for the info, I ran into this problem several times and checked MS TEchnet but couldn't find anything. Since I work for customers in Holland and Belgium this might be the solution.

Though I'm still sceptical. The reason is that I've seen it come and go on some machines without anyone changing the regional settings (at least not that I know).

Anyway I didn't bother to much, because the values shown still show the relative costs for each step right and I found that in most cases they just add up to 1000 instead of 100%.

I'll definetly try your solution the next time I see it.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Hi Cneuhold

Thanks

• Hi Cneuhold

Thanks for information. I'm dba from Brazil and the same thing happens at my MSSQL tools here. With your suggestion, the problem is resolved.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply