Query Analyzer - Saving .sql Problem

• Has anyone encountered a problem saving a .sql file from QA to a network. We have several people here, including myself, that try to save a sql file to the network and QA responds like it normally does except the file does not get saved. This seems to be sparatic though and it works to save the file locally.

QA does not error out and the asterisk disappears from the title bar. It's just the the most important part (the file being saved) does not work. I have never experienced this at any other place until now.

The server most people do save to is a Novell server. Would this have anything to do with it? It should be a pretty trivial task.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

• I had this happen once using a Unix network drive.  The problem was that the error messages from the server were not making it back to the client because of an incompatibility between versions of software running on the client and server.  The real problem was that the disk was full.

• I had a problem where QA hung occaisionally when saving SQL - a reinstall solved the problem.

• We have encountered a similar problem, using Windows 2K servers all service packed to the same level. It happens rarely and we've found no solution or workaround as yet. You will need to double check each one to ensure it has saved, or save each file twice (the second save always seems to work).

• I know this sounds quite basic, but I wonder if the file type .sql is a hidden type in the directory on the novelle server?

• When it happens, we are saving to a directory that .sql files already exist in and you can do the Save several times. It seems to be saving a file that had been opened as opposed to creating a new file.

I just don't know what else to check for when the problem occurs. It has to be something with the network(probably Novell) because it always seems to work saving locally. I just wish it would error and at least let you know the save is failing.

I had our network team look for logs but they said since it is a Novell server that there isn't an event viewer log. I don't know much about Novell but I would think they log stuff somewhere.

Thanks for you suggestions, more are welcome.

• Had this problem and it turned out that the network folder had write permissions but not create. I had the network admin add create/full  permissions explicitly to the DBA group and it worked fine.

• This problem is really crazy. It works most of the time. I just tried every possible combination of saving a file from QA and now can't reproduce the problem.

Could it have something to do with the network not being available for a bit when trying to save, however, QA is the only program people have problems with.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply