Query Analyzer hosed

• I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.  When I got in to work this morning, I could open Enterprise Manager but could not run QA from my XP SP1 workstation.  If I tried to open it from EM/Tools, I got:

"The Operating System Denied Access to the Specified File"

If I tried to call it directly from the binn folder, I got:

"Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed"

I didn't want to fuss with this too much, so I just wound up re-installing the client tools which fixed the problem.  But what's bugging me is 1) what caused this and 2) is there another way of fixing besides re-installing?  I've checked the event viewer on the machine but don't see anything that would account for this.  Thanks in advance for any insight.   

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Just a thought. I've worked places where the system support staff would handle system updates, updates of common applications, and suchlike outside of normal working hours. Does your company do this? Could they have done this last night (even if they normally don't do it)?

Do you have anything that processes updates/upgrades automatically (Windows Update leaps to mind) that could have run last night?

Was your machine on or off when you left last night? when you came in Monday morning?

Could there have been any environmental weirdness, e.g. a power outage?

I would expect that some of these answers are "no", simply because you say that there wasn't anything peculiar in the event log; however, I'm never sure which of these sorts of things get logged and which don't.

I have no answers for you - however, answering these questions may give someone the insight needed to help you out, or to make your own educated guess.

Good luck.

R David Francis

• Thanks for the reply RD,

They've been playing with SUS lately.  And although no changes were 'supposed' to have been pushed out this weenend and we are 'supposed' to have a Change Management process in place  where everyone gets notified of updates, who knows what really happened.  I usually don't shut my workstation off excepting for critical updates but I did notice on Monday morning that it had rebooted when I came in, and therefore can only suspect that a SUS restart order was sent out.  We're on a UPS with generator backup, so I think I can rule out power outage.

Which is all good and well but I'm still confused as to what could have messed up my client tools.  EM worked fine, but QA wouldn't.  Just thought I'd post it in case it happens to anyone else. Thanks again.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply