queries across two database connections

• Is it possible to conduct a query across two tables that are in two different connections ?

I restored database OUR_data from a backup on 02/12/09 to the connection "testdata1".

I restored database OUR_data from a backup on 1/02/09 to the connection "testdata2".

Using Microsoft DQL Server Management Studio Express, I have connected to both instances in the same studio and can see the database OUR_data in both connections, and can see the table "CLIENTS" in both connections. However, when I open a new query window, I can connect to one instance or the other. Is there any way to be able to query both instances of the "CLIENT" table to see exactly where the differences are ?

Thank you !!

• I would recommend using Redgate's SQL Data Compare instead of writing your own. But, if you don't want to go that route:

1) Create a linked server from one system to the other

2) Use a query to query the linked server and join the data to the local table

But, again - you can download the tools and run them in trial mode. That would get you the differences right away and you can then see if it is worth it to purchase.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply