QOD Improvement to question creation page

• In the last few months the Question of the Day (QOD) has been subject to a large volume of critical comments some justified, some carping, some just whining. My effort here is to suggest alterations to the web page where the questions are created in an effort to direct the QOD towards its primary purpose which I believe is to teach, or to test knowledge of those who answer.

What I propose is a list of check points inserted between the properties section and the actual question entry window. Not being a web page guru I have attached an image of where these check points should be located. The questions composer would have to acknowledge each item in order to submit the question for publication.

The check points that I would insert are:

1. Does the question apply to a particular release of SQL Server i.e., SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2008 R2 and / or version i.e., Enterprise, Standard, Express? If the question does apply to a particular release and / or version of SQL Server. Is that information clearly stated in the header of your question?

2. Does the question concern or does the correct answer rely upon database setting which are NOT identical to those setting in the Model database when it was installed during the installation of SQL Server? For example ANSI_NULLS, ANSI_WARNINGS. If it does, are those setting detailed in you question?

3. I have a qualified coworker available and willing to review the question. This coworker has answered the question and reviewed my reference(s) to justify the correct answer(s) and found the question and correct answers to be clear and concise.

4. The link(s) to supporting documentation are those that can be viewed using a web browser (http://social.technet.microsoft …) and are NOT local references to Books On Line (ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/….)

5. The question has been spell checked and all detected error(s) corrected.

My request to you the reader of this forum, to:

a. Add an addition check point or,

b. State which of proposed check points is not beneficial and should be removed or,

c. State that things are fine the way they exist now, do nothing.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I think those are fair checks.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 1. I'd suggest on the web form, having the submitter actually select the sql version that it's applicable for via checkboxes instead of just saying in the question what version it is in. It would then be pretty easy to actually store that info with the question, and to have it be automatically displayed on the web site, or in the newsletter.

2. While it's good that you covered things different from the default model db, I think you need to go further. We have to deal with case-sensitive collations from an install, and installs in other than American English - I'm thinking primarily whether dates are MDY or DMY format, but other things apply also.

I think what you have proposed would be a pretty valuable addition to bring the quality of the QOTD up! Thanks for going through the effort to do this.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS

I'd suggest on the web form, having the submitter actually select the sql version that it's applicable for via checkboxes

- take this to be a sort of select all that apply - nice suggestion.

And

We have to deal with case-sensitive collations from an install, and installs in other than American English - I'm thinking primarily whether dates are MDY or DMY format, but other things apply also

Waynes - many thanks excellent suggestions ..

Ron

• bitbucket-25253 (3/22/2010)

WayneS

I'd suggest on the web form, having the submitter actually select the sql version that it's applicable for via checkboxes

- take this to be a sort of select all that apply - nice suggestion.

Yes, that is my intent.

And

We have to deal with case-sensitive collations from an install, and installs in other than American English - I'm thinking primarily whether dates are MDY or DMY format, but other things apply also

Waynes - many thanks excellent suggestions ..

Just reporting on the various things I've seen crop in the the QOTDs. Dates seems to be something that appears regularily... "but your answer doesn't work in DMY format", etc. Maybe something like "if you're posting anything dealing with dates, put a SET DATEFORMAT xxx statement as the first statement."

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• I think we need to be careful here. I would keep the list short. You don't want to have to answer 20 questions about your question just to submit it, do you?

I think a few well defined questions would be good. Keep in mind though, that there will inevitably be some nitpicking if somebody misses the question.

I think one good way to circumvent that is to paste an image of code (if submitting code). Then that really makes people think about the question a little more.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Posted as an attachment is a modified view of a section of the web page, including WayneS first recommendation.

CirquedeSQLeil

I think one good way to circumvent that is to paste an image of code (if submitting code). Then that really makes people think about the question a little more.

Now, now you are stealing one of my tricks.

Ron

• bitbucket-25253 (3/22/2010)

Posted as an attachment is a modified view of a section of the web page, including WayneS first recommendation.

CirquedeSQLeil

Now, now you are stealing one of my tricks.

On the version of SQL, what about including Developer? I assume most of us know that it's the same as Enterprise (except for licensing), but just to be clear for some...

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/22/2010)

I think we need to be careful here. I would keep the list short. You don't want to have to answer 20 questions about your question just to submit it, do you?

Maybe SSC can specify a standard environment via a list of SET statements (this could handle the default model database, as well as the date format issue). Any deviation from that to support your question needs to be in the question.

Edit: Then on the submit page, have

Yes No

[ ] [ ] Question uses the SSC standard QOTD environment (link: ...), or included the necessary SET statement(s) to deviate from that.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply