public users - newbie question

• Am i right in assuming, and you know what happens when you assume, that the "public" user in all databases has right to do anything?

And not entering a check mark, sorry for the lack of techy termination, means you have rights to a particular object, etc?????

And by creating a user with check marks means that I have denied that person all rights to what the public users has and the new users only has rights to the check marked item and losses rights to the non checked item?

• That is just about exactly backwards. The public role does exist in every db, but has no permissions by default. A check indicates they have them, an x indicates they have been denied (different than just not having permissions). You'll need to look at both permissions and roles to get the whole picture. I've got one article that might help:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/sqlpermissionspublicrole.asp

Andy

• Andy

leave it to me to get it backwards but here is what happened!

To make a long story short I have DEV server and a Production server. Acess to the server are via QA and using Wind Authentication. One of our develpers was creating a stored proc on the dev server. She is not even listed as a user nor does she have a login to the dev server, but she creates an sp and saves it with dbo as owner - no problems. She moves to a db on prod - where she has all sorts of rights on her server login, except sysadmin. And all roles in db except , owner ,Denywriter and denyread. But when she saves an sp, even though she indicates that dbo is owner - it save the sp with her as owner??? the sp on prod will not work because she is the owner!!

so that is why I was confused about public!!

I will read your article - hopefully it will sink in!!!

Thanks,

Karen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply