PTS and cube security roles

• Hi there.

I've setup a security role for my cube to restrict users from seing certain dimensions of the cube. In the "Manage security role" the test is showing me exactly what I want.

However, when using this is Excel (2k) Pivot Table Services, I either see the cube with all members of my dimension, or I don't see the cube at all.

Ultimately I'd like to setup an Excel file with a Pivot Table report where, depending on users' credentials, certains aggregations could be seen.

Any idea how to work this out?

Thanks a million in advance.

Jean-Marie

• Who are you logged in as (to the local machine) when doing your excel test?  If it's *you* and you are a member of the olap admins, then the role is overridden by your admin status.  You can either: i) create/use another lower privilege account to log on and test with; or ii) modify the connection string in your *.oqy file (the excel pivot table connection file) adding the following 'role=<rolename>;'  without the quotes of course.  You may need to check, it may be 'roles' plural but I think it's singular.

With the dimension restriction, you may want to go to the third tab (can't remember it's name) and set the VisualTotals to On, otherwise your users will see the (say) 3 categories that you have allowed them but the total will be the sum of all categories, so with a little deduction they can work out the remainder.

Cheers,

Steve.

• Thanks Steve.

It seems it's an Office2k issue. I installed Office 2003 and without touching my OLAP side everything seems to work the way I want. BTW, I did check the visual totals...

Cheers.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply