Proxy accounts failing to authenticate intermittently

• We've recently moved a couple servers to SQL 2019 running on Windows Server 2019, these were previously on SQL2016/Win2016.

We started getting jobs that failed to start due to authentication issues with proxy accounts (credentials). Only happens once a day or every few days. Not related to any specific job or proxy account and not at consistent times. Also if more than one job was scheduled to start at that time both will fail with the same error.

We use GMSA accounts for the services, same as what we had on the 2016 servers. I don't ever remember seeing this error until we upgraded to SQL2019 on Win 2019.

There are 2 different errors we're seeing

"Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy domain\username, system error: ConnGetProxyPassword). The step failed."

and

"Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy domain\username, system error: The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship.). The step failed."

Any help is appreciated, just not sure which direction to go with this. Is it a windows issue or SQL issue?

Thanks

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I can't help here but I can tell you I'd be online with MS Support about this.  This sounds like a bug to me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I would make sure to have my  SQL2019 upgraded to one of the most recent CU's !

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Builds

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks for the replies, apparently notifications weren't working. Site is still struggling I see.

Going to install the latest CU in test today and push it up to prod next week.

If that doesn't solve it then I'll open a support case.

• I am experiencing similar issues, please keep this thread posted. Curious if the most recent CU helped.

• OK will do, current is SQL 2019 Std CU13 and patching to CU15 next week. It seems more like a Windows service/Active Directory is the issue, but who knows.

Server is Windows Server 2019 Std 10.0 build 17763.

• TangoVictor - we have an open case with Microsoft but have not gotten anywhere so far. We are on SQL 2019 cu 11 and the same windows server install as you. If it is helpful you can refer to our case number (Case 2111220050002680) when you open a case with Microsoft, this is a production issue for us as well...Hoping your CU15 does the trick, but keep us posted please and I'll do the same.

• This is a pretty good example of why companies will always need a DBA. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• jriedberger wrote:

TangoVictor - we have an open case with Microsoft but have not gotten anywhere so far. We are on SQL 2019 cu 11 and the same windows server install as you. If it is helpful you can refer to our case number (Case 2111220050002680) when you open a case with Microsoft, this is a production issue for us as well...Hoping your CU15 does the trick, but keep us posted please and I'll do the same.

Sounds great and we'll also be doing Windows patches. Will keep you updated.

• Just following up on this.

Patching was completed last night.

Current versions are now:

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (RTM-CU15) (KB5008996) - 15.0.4198.2 (X64)

Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2019 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 17763: ) (Hypervisor)

Full Windows build number: 17763.2565

As of this morning no ETL job errors, but too early to tell. Will follow up after a few days.

• Thanks for keeping us posted, please let us know how things go over the next few days/weeks. Crossing our fingers - would be great if this is just a patch to fix.

• Thank you for the feedback!

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Update on this.

We did see one instance of these errors after the update.  Before the updates it was happening daily.

If I run across any additional info will try to remember to post it here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply