Proxy Account Error - Specified user can not login

• I am trying to setup the proxy account for the first time. In EM I go to the SQL Agent properties, select the Job System tab and deselect the "Only users with sysadmin priviliges can execute CmdExec..." check box. At this point I am prompted to enter the login, password and domain. After entering that information correctly I receive the following error:

Error executing extended stored procedure: Specified user

can not login

The account I'm using is a domain account with local admin rights on the box. In addition to that I've designated the account as a sysadmin in sqlserver. It is also the account used to start the MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVERAGENT services on the box.

I tried these exact steps on another similar box here and it worked fine using the same account. I'm completely stumped. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks again for your help.

Remember this when a developer tells you it will just be temporary. Temporary = Permanent.

• Right click SQL Server Agent --> Display error log to see any errors there. Also check the SQL Server errorlog.

Are both servers at same level service pack?

• No Errors available in the logs. Both on SP3.

Remember this when a developer tells you it will just be temporary. Temporary = Permanent.

• Here's how we setup the proxy account:

1.The service account for SQLServer Agent must have the following user rights:

-Act as part of the Operating System

-Increase Quotas

-Log on as a Service

-Replace process level token

We create a Windows 2000 Domain account and it's not the same one that is used to run SQL Server or SQL Agent Services.

The proxy account is also not in the local admin group.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply