Protecting SSRS reports

• I submitted a Feedback post on MS Connect site to have this suggestion added into SSRS. Please Feel free to vote it up, the more votes it get the more likely it will get implemented!

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/586593/protecting-ssrs-reports

• in that case best way is to use reportviewer instead of reportmanager

• l543123 (8/16/2010)

in that case best way is to use reportviewer instead of reportmanager

I’m not sure that I understand you. How will that protect the reports?

• It won't really. The only different it'll make is that now the report is on the web server rather than report server. Still the source is freely available (both data and XML for report). So I can't see how that makes it any more protected.

• instead of giving reportmanager access to the users, give them the reportviewer links (use reportviewer control in asp.net, or HTML page with reportviewer links, sharepoint etc). But still if your colleague wants to steal yours reports, he can always do it 🙂 Also when you create reports for a company, how can those reports be your IP??

• I see your point. My questions was strickly refferring to building a bundle of reports that we then sell as a package to a client.

In that case we grant a license to use the reports which we can also modify for there needs. But we do NOT grant free use and right to give away or resell to other clients.

• Moreover the only we saw to enforce that license was to host the reports on our own servers in our building. But that comes with a host of major hurdles (share / expose DB over internet). Requires high bandwith over internet for both sides which is not a problem with internal network. Requires very powerfull servers on our side to handle all clients which again is not a problem with client side hosting...

• Since I don’t control the SSRS server that is not an options.

You are assuming that the company own the right to the report, this is not the case, hence why I want better protection for SSRS reports.

• sorry, yes I see your point on protecting those reports.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply