Protecting Data Between Services

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Protecting Data Between Services

• I believe that having my health records stored in an online vault that can be accessed by my physicians or myself is very useful. However, all the apps, bots, and social features that Microsoft and Google attempted to build on top of it... not so much. Perhaps investments in development and marketing have been sunk into the wrong features. It's the storage, accessibility, security, and provider integration features that really matter. Whoever get's that part right, and can find a way to monetize on it, will own the healthvault space.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Well said, Eric. I feel the same way, it's all the other crap surrounding the really needed feature that keeps me from adoption of such things. Same reason I have dropped facebook, google mail and many other services in favor of a service that only concentrates on the feature I need without polluting it with marketing and money grab schemes in the background. The issue for me now is keeping track of all these services. Perhaps that's another area of opportunity :). A service "aggregator" service if you will. With a common data format of course! heh.

• Certainly any sensitive "vault" service would require the subject's consent before passing the information to a third party! More importantly, the T&E for the receiving party must include a "best protection effort" clause for protecting the data.

šŸ˜Ž

• Very relevant to me. I've been using Microsoft's HealthVault service for a few years now. I literally use it daily, to record my weight for that day. I like the interface'sĀ  charting my weight over the week/month/whatever view I want to see it in. And I've got the various medications I've taken, both in the past and currently, in HealthVault. I've used this recently, when I changed doctors. I brought in that list and was able to share it with the new doctor. Very handy.

So, I'm one that's not happy to see Microsoft dropping this service. I wasn't aware that Google had a similar service and abandoned it a few years back. You're probably right - it wasn't profitable, so Google left it and now Microsoft is following suit.

When I got the notice of Microsoft dropping HealthVault later this year in my Inbox, they offered one or two choices. So, the issues you've bought up in this article are things I've been wondering about. Plus, I've never heard of the different services Microsoft offered to transfer to. So, in the interim I'm investigating them, just to see how viable they are. What's the point of going to something different if it too belly's up 6 months later.?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Of the big 5 data companies (Google, Amazon, Apple, FaceBook, Microsoft), Microsoft is the one I would expect to get HealthVault right, at least on the technical and security side of things, and I think they did have those bases covered. But healthcare is a tough industry to work with, especially when it comes to integration and exchanging data.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• The consent rule is also problematic. If you're travelling and become sick or injured, perhaps unconscious, how would that data be accessed quickly enough?

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• jay-h wrote:

The consent rule is also problematic. If you're travelling and become sick or injured, perhaps unconscious, how would that data be accessed quickly enough?

if you are unconscious they aren't going to care about your health vault, they'll work off the information on hand until you're stable. it's the drug interactions or the chronic conditions that Health Vault helps with. Any traveling companion should be able to give emergency services enough to go on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply