Proper method for installing SQL service packs

• Hello,

I am just seeking some advice on how people generally perform SP installations on production mirrored servers. We generally suspend the databases then upgrade the mirror first. We resume, failover and then upgrade the other side. Does anyone else have some suggestions? Usually this works fine but one of our last installs did break SQL, not that it's related to our method I don't think. Anyway just curious what step others take, if any.

• We always upgrade the Dev's development and test servers first, after snapping their VM's, test a bit, then we patch production.

• Yes we upgrade Dev/Staging first.

• lmacdonald (4/8/2016)

Hello,

I am just seeking some advice on how people generally perform SP installations on production mirrored servers. We generally suspend the databases then upgrade the mirror first. We resume, failover and then upgrade the other side. Does anyone else have some suggestions? Usually this works fine but one of our last installs did break SQL, not that it's related to our method I don't think. Anyway just curious what step others take, if any.

No need to suspend mirroring, just run the service pack on the mirror partner.

Reboot if required and then failover the mirror session, if its asynchronous set it to synchronous first, this becomes new primary.

Then run the patch on the new secondary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply