PromptSQL

• I don't know if you're talking about PromptSQL or SQL Assist, but I noticed that I didn't post the site to SQL Assist. And for some reason, when I google "SQL Assist" it doesn't come up. Its at http://www.roundpolygons.com.

P Barbin

• Just hit the site myself, so it's up.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Sorry,

I was talking about PromptSQL

• Hmmm, Ok. It seems to be back now.

• P. Barbin - I appreciate the link to SQL Assist but I don't write my DB code (stored procedures) in Visual Studio.  I use SQL QA.  This is where I need the intellisense  .

• I think this utility is pretty good. I'm going to test it a bit more. We have about 4500 objects (select count(*) from sysobjects where type in ('u', 'p', 'fn', 'v')) that PromptSQL has to sort through, and I think it's bogging it down a little, but it's still slick. My major "con" would be the lack of function support, as mentioned above. I'm submitting that as feedback. I have to admit that I only skimmed the article, and got excited about not having to hit SHIFT-F1 anymore to remember which parameter comes first in LEFT vs. REPLACE, etc. This probably added to my disappointment at lack of function support.

I'm still going to buy it, and enjoy it though.

Rick Todd

• If you can enable logging (right-click on the PromptSQL icon, click on "View Log...") and send me a log, I'd be happy to take a look at what is happening when it isn't working.

You can send it using the feedback form on the web site at: http://www.promptsql.com/feedback.html

Same goes for anyone else that has any problems or suggestions for PromptSQL -- I want to make it better!

Re functions -- they will be supported in the 1.3 release, due out before the end of the month. This is a list of enhancement requests, and features that have been added: http://www.promptsql.com/known_bugs_and_possible_enhancements.htm

Regards,

Damian (author of PromptSQL)

• I downloaded the trial version.  Used it for about 5 minutes, before I realized it was worthless due to the lack of quality.  Without going into a ton of details, let's just say my opinion is that it's a product that any SQL Developer would just get frustrated with over time.  Nice idea, but quality needs improvement, before I'd spend $$ on it.

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Hello A.J,

The thing gets some people is that (as Brian mentioned in his article) to optimize the parsing, PromptSQL currently only parses the chunk of text around the cursor that is delimited by empty lines.  We also don't support functions, and we don't handle subqueries properly.  The second two items should be addressed before the end of the month.

I thought it was worth releasing a product that was useful, if not perfect, on the basis that the missing features would be added over time (http://www.promptsql.com/releases.htm)

If you can email me offline, I'd really like to understand what is not working for you, so that other people don't have the same experience.

Thanks,

Damian

• I just installed PromptSQL and I'm getting mixed results.

When I 'space' after a verb like from or join, I get a list of databases instead of tables or procedures.

• Bring up your PromptSQL options (double-click on the tray icon is the easiest way). Click on the Content tab and uncheck List databases when listing everything.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I did try unchecking List databases when listing everything, but

that did not work.  

• Hello there,

Could you verify that your current statement has a blank line in front of it?

Instead of:

use Northwind

select * from

do:

use Northwind

select * from

If that isn't it, please email me the log per my earlier post.

Thanks,

Damian

• Brian,

You forgot to mention the snippets!

type in ssf and press TAB and you get SELECT * FROM.

You can add your own as well so I have set up

derr to bring up DECLARE @lError INT , @lRowCount = @@ROWCOUNT

serr to bring up SELECT @lError = @@ERROR , @lRowCount = @@ROWCOUNT

There are some basic issues with this product but looking at their forum it looks like they are actively addressing these issues.

Lets face it US$25 is not a lot of money. It's the price of a CD in the UK

• Good point, I did. The snippets can come in very handy, I just haven't retrained my self to use them. By the time I think "SELECT * FROM" I have already typed it.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply