Prometheus

• With my last job, we were told to work as if we were all air traffic controllers, where all decisions and actions were serious life or death issues. That's in addition to the demand for ridiculous hours and tight deadlines. The end result was low morale, high turnover, and many, many burnouts. Life or death? It was a personal insurance company!

• Coming out the other side enlightened helped. Realizing that there are very few companies that truly valued their employees, this was the late 90s, my answer was to become an independent contractor where if I work I get paid. I need to come in late, leave early I do. If I need a vacatioin I take one. Pluses and minuses, but a lot more happiness for me.

<><
    Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.

• this essentially demonstrates that the ancient Greeks had bad bosses too.

Nothing new under the sun

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I do think Prometheus is an apt comparison. Some days, you feel like you bring fire into the dark corners of the organization and make things better and brighter. Other days, it's just like being chained to a rock with a giant eagle pecking at your liver.

:hehe:

• Possibly you did not miss your mark. However, you probably should have used the other picture of Prometheus being chained to rock as punishment, having his liver being eaten by a (management) eagle day after day only to grow back at night. Somehow seems more appropriate.

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• I've found that getting a reasonable work/life balance depends more on the manager than the company.

In my current role, I used to have a manager who 'micro-managed' and insisted on daily update meeting to asses progress on the project, even though the deadlines were months away and no phases were due to complete in less than a week.

My current manager has several times insisted I go home, when I felt I needed to stay and finish a particulr section of a project, because it's much better to go home on time and come in refreshed next day than to continue working at the end of a long day and probably make mistakes.

Derek

• One interesting note I noticed from my company. The HR group at Red Gate will send around a note a few times a year when they notice someone coming into work sick. They ask that you take a break, go home and get better, both so you can be productive and also so that no one else gets sick.

I've never seen that from my US employers. Most of them want you to struggle into work, regardless of how you feel.

• In my old company, even though I had pneumonia and I had to stay home, my co-worker called me to work on a production problem because I was the only one that knew how to solve it. So I spent 6 hours working on the problem at home. My boss was away that week. Later the HR department yelled at me by doing that. But I felt liked I was caught in the middle.

Anyhow no one cared or appreciated of what I did !!!!!!!!!

• "No good deed goes unpunished..." 🙁

• Unfortunately.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply