product version result

• SELECT

SERVERPROPERTY ('ProductVersion')

Output: 13.0.4001.0

What does each of those numbers mean.I need to find the most recent hotfixes applied on a server.

Is 4001 the most recent hotfix applied

13 signifies sql 2016

First '0' is it sp1 ??

And what the last '0' signify ?

SELECT substring(SERVERPROPERTY ('ProductVersion'),6,4)..this results in an error . how do i extract only 4001 from hte result.

I tried: SELECT substring(SERVERPROPERTY ('ProductVersion'),6,4)

Error:

Msg 8116, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Argument data type sql_variant is invalid for argument 1 of substring function.

select convert(varchar(1000),SERVERPROPERTY('Product version')) --This returns a NULL

Got it:

SELECT SUBSTRING(CAST(SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') as nvarchar(128)),6,4)

returns 4001

Is 4001 the hot fix ?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  mtz676.
  • You can find a list of the build numbers, for all versions, here. In recently history, the only version that have had a "major" version revision is SQL Server 2008 with SQL Server 2008R2 (which was Version 10.50 instead of 10.0). Otherwise there isn't a specific method to Microsoft's version number that appears to be easily discernable apart from that, previously, the minor version when the to next thousand for each SP (which is no longer applicable for SQL Server 2017+).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• These are build numbers, so depending on how many builds go through the MS system, you get different numbers for different patches. There is no code for the number itself, other than the first part, which is the major version.

We also maintain build numbers here at SSC: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/sql-server-build-lists

• https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3177312/kb3177312-sql-server-2016-build-versions

SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Cumulative Update (CU) Builds

SP1  13.0.4001.0 KB3182545   November 16, 2016

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply