Product Platform Teams

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Product Platform Teams

• I am a developer who has had to do some Ops stuff. Quite honestly, I have very high respect for server and SQL administrators. Further, there is a lot of truth to the adage, "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Infrastructure as code doesn't remove the need to know what infrastructure will be needed. Or what and how to adjust when the product is in actual use. Not to mention that many developers do NOT know how to design a good data model. Quite simply, the very idea that Ops people can be replaced with developers is arrogance. But if they see each other as on the same team, things improve.

• I think that's the key, we're the same team, and we have to support, help, and learn from each other.

• I really like the idea that you're presented of Operations being more like a product team. Of course, there's differences. Developers (which I'm one) have a time limitation based upon when the software solution under development gets completed, whereas Ops is ongoing. Nevertheless I see value for Ops running as a product team.

I work for a large state agency, which has a very long history following waterfall for project management. Since we're a state agency we really don't have any competitors, so waterfall was fine for decades. Even the smallest projects took on average at least two years from conception to release, following a waterfall approach. What's changed the minds of the C-suite to start pursuing a more Agile and DevOps approach is the fact that our customers (other employees in this state agency) couldn't wait a minimum of two years for some smallest of projects to be delivered. They started writing their own which became a real headache for Ops to manage.

We're still at the early stages of implementing a DevOps approach. Development teams are adopting if somewhat quicker than Ops. Perhaps changing the mindset to thinking of themselves as a product team would assist with their adopting DevOps faster.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply