Processing Dimensions Task Fails

• I have an SSIS package which runs my ETL scripts, followed by a Process Update of all my dimensions (as its own task) and finally a task to process the cube. The package is failing each night now at the Process Dimensions task and if I try to run it manually it also fails. This is the error I'm getting:

----------

SSIS package "DW Update.dtsx" starting.

Error: 0x0 at Process Dimensions, Analysis Services Processing Task: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: root, return, ExecuteResponse, soap:Body, soap:Envelope. Line 15817, position 1.

Task failed: Process Dimensions

SSIS package "DW Update.dtsx" finished: Success.

----------

I've had a look at the XML script for my DTS package but it only has about 700 lines (so I don't know where I could find line 15817). I've deleted the Process Dimensions task and recreated it and it still fails. If I run the same process manually, using exactly the same settings (i.e. in BIDS I select all my dimensions, right-click and Process) it goes through without issues.

Any ideas?

• It might be that the error occurs in the code that is sent to SSAS, which is XAML if I'm correct. Maybe this code, generated by SSIS and send to SSAS is somehow malformed, and preventing the proper execution.

I can't help you with the answer, but maybe some suggestions:

- if you do a process full of the dimensions, will it succeed (this might not suit your scenario, but it's worth a try)

- delete the SSAS database, and redeploy (this solved some strange issues for us sometimes)

- maybe you can find a single dimension that is the culprit, by deselecting all dimensions in the process task, and then adding one at a time and executing

- might be there is a problem with the number of dimensions. It should be possible to build a package with a for each container that processes one dimension at a time.

Hope you can solve your problem, please keep us posted on your solution or findings.

Peter Rijs
    BI Consultant, The Netherlands

• Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. I've just rebuilt the SSIS package from scratch and the process dimensions/process cube tasks now work when run through BIDS. Waiting to see if it works tonight on the schedule.

Sam

• Just wondering if a rebuild of the package resolved the issue for you? I've had 2 instances where processing fails with a similar error.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply