Processing Cubes in SSIS

• Hi everyone,

I have to process cubes which are on Analysis Services 2000. I want to develop an SSIS 2008 package to process the cubes but I found that SSIS 2008 does not support the analysis services 2000 cubes. So, I was looking at alternative ways to process cubes in SSIS 2008 and found that we can use a script task(vb.net/C#) script to process the cubes.

I was thinking of using Script task and use VB.net/C# script and import Microsoft.Analysisservices.DLL in to the script . Does anyone has any idea of how we can use a script task to first process all the dimensions and then the cubes. I want to use a script task to first process all the dimensions and tehn other script task to finally process the cube.

Thanks a lot again.

• Is there a reason that you haven't migrated the cubes to SSAS 2008 as that would be a better solution.

I'm not sure that the .Net supports calls to the older libraries, I dont know if anyone can confirm or deny this.

The other options are

1) Create a DTS package on an old SQL 2000 server and have an SSIS package or the last step in a job execute the SQL 2000 package on the remote server (sp_executepackage).

2) Create an SSIS job that calls the SQL 2000 DTS package to process the cube.

HTH.

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The package is an old DTS package and I need to migrat eit to SSIS 2008. Actually, the cubes will eventually be moved to SSAS 2005 or 2008 server but this will take some time. So, for now I was looking for a workaround to process the SSAS 2000 cubes in SSIS 2008.

So, you mean that I can deploy the old DTS package on the 2000 server an run it as a SQL server agent job? Let me know if I am understanding it correctly.

In the mean while I used the package migration wizard in migrate this old DTS package which mainly has Analysis Services processing tasks to process cubes. When I migrated the wizard coverted each "analysis services processing task" in the package to "Execute DTS 2000 package task". Can I just use this SSIS package as the way it is been migrated by the wizard? Has anyone done similar thing before?

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply