processadmin - can it stop sql instance ?

• I tried to test that by creating a sql login, and giving it processadmin rights. Then loging in as this sql login, and was able to stop/restart sql server from SSMS.

Now, I've taken away processadmin rights and only left Public access, again loging in as this sql login, and again was able to stop/restart sql server from SSMS. :w00t:

Strange. That makes me think that even though I am loging as this sql login, some other api calls might be happening that determine my LAN account also happens to be admin on that sql box, and I am able to stop sql instance.

• this is really misleading, because when you click SSMS(NOT logging in to object explorer or a query window), you launch it as yourself...probably someone who certainly can stop and start the service.

when you click to start and stop that service in SSMS, those windows credentials are used, NOT whatever you used to login to object explorer or a query window.

i tripped over the same issue myself, expecting that the user i logged in as would be used, but it's whoever launched SSMS.exe, and not the credentials of object explorer.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowel, that explains it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply