process never stops (Killed/Rollback)

• Tmp,

try running the xp_sendmail from QA and see if this still happens. I don't like the communication link failure you are receiving.

Are the sqlagent_proxy settings defined? I know this changed with sp3. Also, can you look at the code/run the code from QA. If you can I would walk the code and see what it does.

This may just be a permissions issue (I hope)

Good Luck

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Custom Billing AT&T Labs

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• It just happen to me again.

I had to restart the sql server.

Process hang at Application : Microsoft(R)Windows(R) Operating System

We run sp_sendmail common in our stored procs very often.

Thanks for the article. I will go through, if I can find something that may help resolve the issue.

Thanks again.

• I would try and identify which program just caused the crash and tear that apart where it sends email. Possible syntax error and/or permissions

good luck

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Custom Billing AT&T Labs

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• xp_sendmail, need administrator account and watch out for saving any modification by other users to this job (still will show that you're the owner even if someone else not Admin, saved it for you). You should start at the server because the outlook client's profile (on another pc) is totally different than the server's profile; follow these steps on the SQL Server:

1. Install outlook on the server (if you haven’t done already)

2. On the Exchange server create a new domain account (prefer to use the same account that SQL services running under, must be a domain account)

3. Change SQL agent to run under the same account

4. goto mail under control panel and configure a new profile, by entering the Exchange server name and choose the mail account you created on the exchange server (if your mail account does not show, launch outlook)

5. goto EPM, management, sql agent, property, enter the profile(mail account you created on Exchange server), save it and close it, reopen and ensure that the profile remain.

6.goto EPM, support Services, SQL Mail, property and choose the same account in step 5

Never let anyone save this job other than an administrator member, this is correct for DTS as well

Good Luck

Maher

MCSE/MCDBA/MCSD/MCT

• SQL mail and sql agent are running under domain account other than sa. Outlook 2000 is running properly. This happens once in a while. In middle of process running, something goes wrong at OS or exchange level and process hangs. I recently had to restart the sql server due to Operating system resources, process was hung (xp_sendmail).

Thanks for your recommendations. I appreciate it.

Edited by - htrivedi_2000@yahoo.com on 03/27/2003 08:48:07 AM

Edited by - htrivedi_2000@yahoo.com on 03/27/2003 08:49:25 AM

• Use this debugging tools which will let you see what process is hanging on what. You need to run the userdump.exe file then view it with this tool; you may need some programming experience to read the file.

The Debugging tools version 6.1.17 are available.

http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging/default.asp

• Use this debugging tools which will let you see what process is hanging on what. You need to run the userdump.exe file then view it with this tool; you may need some programming experience to read the file.

The Debugging tools version 6.1.17 are available.

http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/debugging/default.asp

• htrivedi_2000 (please, use a friendly nick :))), i resolved my problem, maybe you´re in the same situation. I was using Outlook 200 SR3 as a mail client. This Security Update released in August 2001 attemp to avoid the sending of messages from 'external aplications' (like SQLServer). You can see the full explanation in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315886 - Q2: Why did SQL Mail stop working after I upgraded Microsoft Outlook or applied the Outlook security patch?, and you can check if you are in that situation in Q13: How can I tell if dialog box messages are causing SQL Mail to stop responding?

i finally install a clean outlook client (without SRs) and everything works fine...

I hope this helps you....

• If your job gets killed and you are using a utility like bcp.exe you will leave it as an orphaned process on the SQL Server machine. If you look at the task manager on the server and there is a bcp.exe still running and nothing else is running when you execute sp_who2 active then kill the process and you should see your process with the killed / rollback status disappear. This can also happen with other command line utilities. It is very hard to trace these problems. Likely reason why restarting the server clears it too.

• I have a similar issue that Neil has.

I run FTP through stored-procedures at our month-end. Until the FTP is finished our whole month-end is basically on-hold.

Once in awhile the customer site is down and the FTP program doesn't release. we kill the process through task manager and the SQL processes continue as normal.

Good Point Neil

AJ Ahrens

SQL DBA

Custom Billing AT&T Labs

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• It's a good point.

Fortunately, I am not having any problems for about two weeks now. It happens, when either something is wrong with exchange server or site for ftp or folder for bcp is not available.

Thanks for comments.

• Anyone has xp_smtp_sendmail source code ? Many thanks.

Eugene Liu

eliu@ctisinc.com

• Got this problem for the first time. Solved it by finding the outlook process on the server using "tasklist /svc" command and then running pskill on that process.

After than just xp_startmail and you are ready to roll.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply