Problems with SQL2008 / Windows 2008 R2 cluster install

• Hey all, my cluster install failed with the following error:

There was an error setting private property 'RequireKerberos' to value '1' for resource 'SQL Network Name (SERVERNAME)'. Error: Value does not fall within the expected range.

To which I searched online to find that SP1 resolves the matter. So I went to uninstall, and then got this:

The SQL Server failover cluster instance name '' could not be found as a cluster resource.

Followed by this:

There was an error attempting to remove the configuration of the product which prevents any other action from occuring. The current configuration of the product is being cancelled as a result.

I've done multiple 2008 cluster installs, but this is my first on 2008 R2 (windows) on a single node cluster. I'm not entirely sure what my next steps are, but I need to get rid of this install and start again.

I tried to simply install SP1 to see what happens, and I get:

A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair for instance 'MYINSTANCE' during configuration for features [SQL_Replication_Core_Inst,SQL_Engine_Core_Inst,MPT_AGENT_CORE_CNI,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB968369), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair during configuration for features [SQL_Engine_Core_Shared,SQL_PowerShell_Engine_CNS,CommonFiles,SQL_WRITER,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB968369), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

Was unable to find a "summary.txt" anywhere on the server after this failed.

I then went and removed the resource group, tried the above over again, same results.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

• Did you do a slipstream install, if not you will need to, the slipstream install SQL SP1 as part of the install, windows 2008 R2 requires this and MS has not produced an intergrated install with SP1 yet. Check out this site that details how to set this up:

http://blogs.msdn.com/petersad/archive/2009/02/25/sql-server-2008-creating-a-merged-slisptream-drop.aspx

• andrew, I read the same ... so I did make an SP1 slipstream install. Still doesn't help me get out of this situation though. Being that the install failed to complete, I can't run SP1, nor can I remove it. I think I have to rebuild the o/s at this point, hooray!

• I'm having the same exact issue. Did you ever resolve this without reinstalling the OS?

• That I did not. I'm just going to wipe and reload.

• I got it to uninstall. Found the following link in the Experts-Exchange.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953505

It looks scarier than it really was. I didn't have to do most of it. For me, there were just 4 registry entries where I had to modify the values. It looked to me like the changes in the values made the sql install appear as though it had been successfuly installed.

The next step was to run the Uninstall from add/remove programs. Finally, success at last!

The final step was to create the slipstream install and re-install sql 2008. This also worked perfectly.

An article with the links documenting the R2 issue, slipstream install etc. can be found here:http://wadingthrough.wordpress.com/2009/09/14/problem-installing-sql-server-2008-on-windows-2008-r2/[/url]

Good luck.

• Flipping the bits in the registry as specified in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953505 worked perfectly for me too. Manually deleted cluster resources, changed registry settings, was able to successfully uninstall, then was able to successfully install slip stream version.

Much thanks for the consolidated notes everyone.

• The slip stream install worked this time around for me as well. Wish I would have tried the above ideas, but I already had the server rebuilt.

• citrowske (3/29/2010)

I got it to uninstall. Found the following link in the Experts-Exchange.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953505

It looks scarier than it really was. I didn't have to do most of it. For me, there were just 4 registry entries where I had to modify the values. It looked to me like the changes in the values made the sql install appear as though it had been successfuly installed.

The next step was to run the Uninstall from add/remove programs. Finally, success at last!

This also saved me : resources from cluster configuration were gone but there was still sql server things installed on the server. I was unable to uninstall it because of cluster resource was not there anymore.

I've changed the registry settings from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 as explained in the article and then started again the uninstall setup.

Thanks a lot !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply