Problems with SP2?

• I hadn't noticed many, if any, posts here on SSC regarding problems with 2008 SP2, just thought I'd ask. I upgraded two development instances last night, and one of them ended up with a corrupted Master DB. Fortunately there was only one DB on it, I was able to attach it to the other development instance without issues.

This is an Enterprise x64 edition.

We're making plans on upgrading our production 2008 instance in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone was having any problems. We'll have copies of the databases, including master and msdb, so rebuilding it shouldn't be a problem if it all goes pear-shaped.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• If you've got a mixed shop with 2008 and R2 remember that once the database gets onto R2 it's heck getting it back onto a 2008 database.

• I put up a similar post a few weeks ago and didn't hear anyone having troubles. I've yet to install it.

• No R2, thanks for the info though. Right now one production 2008 with a second coming online soon, and a smattering of 2000 and 2005.

I'm guessing it's a fluke that caused the master to corrupt.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• wclemmer (10/25/2010)

If you've got a mixed shop with 2008 and R2 remember that once the database gets onto R2 it's heck getting it back onto a 2008 database.

Really...?? Please explain further.... If you have a DB in an R2 SQL 2008 you cannot retore it into a SQL 2008 non R2? Is that what you mean? If not, please explain as we might be creating a R2 Cluster at the beginning of the year.

• Markus (10/27/2010)

wclemmer (10/25/2010)

If you've got a mixed shop with 2008 and R2 remember that once the database gets onto R2 it's heck getting it back onto a 2008 database.

Really...?? Please explain further.... If you have a DB in an R2 SQL 2008 you cannot retore it into a SQL 2008 non R2? Is that what you mean? If not, please explain as we might be creating a R2 Cluster at the beginning of the year.

that is exactly right you can not restore down versions in SQL Server so R2 --> 2008 is not possible, in the way 2008 --> 2005 is not possible

• Hi all .. unless I'm mistaken the original question was about SP2, not about R2. I've created and tested a slipstreamed SP2 install without any problems, but I haven't yet tested upgrading an existing system to SP2.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions. Were you upgrading to SP2 from SP1, or from RTM? Also, was the corruption in master enough to prevent SQL Server from starting, or did you find out later after a DBCC? Just curious so I have a better idea what to look out for.

Thanks!

• Huh. You're right, it was about SP2, not R2. My bad. Still, I didn't expect it so it was really frustrating when I tried to move one and it didn't work.

BTW: I have installed 2008 SP2 on an existing stand-alone instance and on a clustered instance of 2008 and it worked fine on both without any hitches so far. They were test/dev databases and I'll be upgrading the prod instances very soon.

• The DB was patched from SP1, not RTM. I won't deploy RTM for production.

The corruption of Master was immediate and prevented SQL Server from starting. I have not yet tried repairing a copy of the DB or mounting it in another instance under a different name. The DBCCs of this instance, including Master, were clean prior to the upgrade.

-----

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply