Problems with Linked Server to Access

• I am trying to configure a linked server to a local Access database with no security and only one table.

I set it up and tested on a test machine first and all works fine. I then did the same on our production box and receive the error below.

Server: Msg 7303, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0'.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: Not a valid account name or password.]

I then set it up on another production box and it worked for a while but now I get a different error.

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: Cannot open database ''.

It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.]

Is there a server level setting that could be different on these machines that could be causing this?

Matt Henriksen

Database Administrator

Fidelity Investments Life Insurance Company

• Matt,

Not aware of any server setting related to this - you might want to compare all the properties on the linked server on your test box to the one in production - maybe find a difference there. You have verified that the mdb is not corrupt and opens without a password?

Andy

• The first error is usually gotten around with "admin" and "" for username and password respectively when it shows up.

As for the second, you said it's been running for a while. When was the last time the Access .MDB was repaired and compacted? For whatever reason, every so often Access will throw a monkeywrench into itself. When I've dealt with it in the past, that was always the first thing I did when a problem reared its ugly head.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I am able to open the .mdb without a PW using Access. I did try to use the'admin' login but it still did not work. I haven't tried the compact and compare yet but will now.

I opened a case with MS support yesterday and so far they are stumped.

Thanks for the ideas.

• Let us know how it turns out.

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply