Problems with Enterprise Manager - possibly a re-install?

• Hi there,

We have a couple of problems that are affecting just a few (2 out of 10) users who are using Enterprise Manager on a remote Server over Terminal Services.

1. Registration of Servers does not stick

I can register SQL servers under various groups, and they are recorded in the registry, but when I close / re-open Enterprise Manager, they do not appear.  The groups are there, but only the first registered server.

2. Protected Item error

Sometimes, I will get (and another user always gets) the message "An application is requesting access to a Protected Item" - the application is "c:\w2tp\system32\mmc.exe".

We are running SQL Server 2000 8.00.818 (SP3) on Windows 2000 SP4

Firstly, has anyone experienced this before, and if so, any suggestions are welcome.

Second, if I need to re-install Enterprise Manager (I think that it may be worth a try), can I just re-install the Client tools and leave SQL Server as-is?  Is the correct way of going about this to just run Setup on the SQL CD as Add/Remove programs only allows me to remove all.

Many thanks,

Nigel.

• you can just install the client tools from the SQL CD.

although the protected item behaviour sounds similar to a problem i've seen on web servers before - user get the same error when visiting web pages - i think it was something to do with caching passwords.

i've also had the problem with registrations not sticking - i created an extra group and only the 1st server in th group stayed.

i never found a fix and just lived with all my servers in the same group.

MVDBA

• There might be something with terminal services. The client tools aren't necessarily designed for this work. I've had some issues with this before, but I tend to run terminal services in admin mode, not app mode.

• Not sure if this applies to your situation, but I've had the registered servers "disappear" from EM before as well.  This probably does apply to Mike's situation.

In Em, on the Tools menu, select Options...

Ensure that the Read/Store locally item is checked in the Server registration information section of the dialog box that appears.  I assume that in your situation you may also want Read/Store user independent.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply