Problems with Database Mail

• Sql Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 32 bit

I have to set up Database Mail in a new environment and its giving me trouble. I am getting errors from msdb.dbo.sysmail_event_log:

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2008-12-09T13:46:52). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [myname@mydomail.com]). )

The log from IIS is as follows:

xx.xx.xx.xx - [servername] [09/Dec/2008:12:42:57 -0600] "EHLO -? [servername] SMTP" 250 195

xx.xx.xx.xx - [servername] [09/Dec/2008:12:42:57 -

what the SMTP server is looking for is servername.domain.local which is the computer name of the dedicated Sql Server

why is DBmail sending the servername truncated and not using FQDN, and how do I resolve this issue so I can get my alerts and why cant any new install in a new environment be "text book" lol

'nix

• exec msdb..sysmail_help_account_sp

Is your servername your exchange server?

• No, we have a mail relay and that is the ip address I specified in the Mail Profile. It is hitting that server and the log there is what I posted above. The obvious difference in the computer name sending the mail is that all other sent mail through this relay has the computername.domain.local name and SQL is passing computername. This is a new network to myself and our Net Admin and we cannot find where the relay is hitting the external IP address to send to exchange which is on a different domain (we have two seperate domains)

'nix

'nix

• Dear

I think the userid which u r using is not the member of the relay server.

another thing is have this user id is defined in msdb database?have u enabled the Database mail stored procedures checkbox in Surface area configuration?

Please take help from here:

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3626056/Database-Mail-in-SQL-Server-2005.htm

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=109885&SiteID=1

Thanx

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply