Problems Backing up SQL 2000 over the network

• What resolved our problem was to add a SessTimeout setting with the DWORD value as 360 to the Win 2003 or Win2K registry on the SQL servers that the backups are failing. By adding this setting the server waits longer for the response. See this article for info on how to add.

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58909.mspx?mfr=true

Someone should "Sticky" this post, or file the fix somewhere prominent on this site.

This, and other forums are littered with tales of woe from people trying to backup over the network, and failing miserably!

• "Stickys" are fine, if people read them (see posting recommendations). A simple search would yield volumes of information about why it's not recommended to do backups across the network, but people don't do that either. I don't know if it's laziness or what but it does get a little redundant.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• bradley.gall (9/15/2008)

Hello,

When adding\increasing the sesstimeout reg key, do you require a reboot for the change to take effect?

No, the server does not require a reboot for it to take effect.

• That is what I thought, but I wanted to get a second opinion, thanks for the response!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply