problems backing up between servers

• Good morning,

I am at the end of my rope. I have been trying unsuccessfully now for 4 days to restore a database from a backup of another server. I have a job that runs on the primary server that creates a backup of a database on the primary server to a folder on the secondary server. When I run restore filelistonly I see two files clean_data and log one .mdf and one .ldf file. When I try to run a restore I get an error message that say there are more than one file pick one. So I try to pick one and get the same message. I cannot seem to make this work. I was thinking about dropping the current database on the secondary server and restoring again. Thanks for any help you can give.

Laura

• What is the command structure for doing your backup? You may have a corrupted file. Or even what versions of SQL is each server?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi there,

Here is the syntax to create the backup file on the secondary server:

BACKUP DATABASE [Campus6] TO DISK = '\\secondary_server\ABTSql\campus6Live.bak' WITH

INIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = 'Campus6', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT

When I go to the secondary server and try to run the restore command either in EM or TSQL this is the error:

"The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'campus6' database. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally."

I am using SQL7.0 sp3. No matter what option I try, I even created a device that accessed the same file and just picked the .mdf file. Still no go.

Any ideas?

Laura

• Try deleting the current backup file or rename and then run this.

BACKUP DATABASE [Campus6]

TO DISK = '\\secondary_server\ABTSql\campus6Live.bak'

WITH

INIT ,

NAME = 'Campus6'

and try to restore. I just want to be sure it is as clean as possible and the media headers are not getting corrupted.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi there,

deleted, backed up using the syntax,tried to restore got the same message. Any thoughts?

laura

• I am stumped, what is the exact message you are getting (verbaitum) as I find no answer at this point unless there is some major version difference from the original server to the back, such as a 7 backup to 6.x, 6.x to 7 or 2000, or 2000 to 7. 7 to 7 shoule behave and 7 to 2000 never failed me. GOt to be something written to the header of the file SQL doesn't like. Also have you tried the RESTORE DATABASE statement to see what happens?

• Thats what I was afraid of. The exact message is :"The backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing 'campus6' database. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally."

I am dropping the database and attempting a restore. We'll see. Thanks for the help.

Laura

• Take a look at this, may apply in your case where you have the db and log backedup in the same file. You did say you had 2 files visible when you open and I only have 1 so are you doing a DB backup and a logfile backup seperately? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q311801

• Okay,

I got it to work, this is how:

1. I stopped the SQL server

2. dropped the offending database

3. restored the database in EM calling it the name of the screwed up one.

4. created a backup device calling the name of the network share on the primary server.

5. restored it from the backup device

It worked! Go figure.

Thanks for the help.

Laura

• Yeah, and whatever works just as long as it works.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply