problem with using "in"

• i have a subquery like this :

select top 100 percent clientid from table1 where

table1.userinfo='123546' and  clientid not in (select clientid from #tmpTable)

order by clientid desc

in the #tmpTable i have  : clientid and a column called "datatype"

with some rows!

the error that i recive is :

"cannot resolve collection conflict for equal to operation"

what is the problem?

thnaks i nadvance

peleg

• the collation of the column userinfo is different from the default you need to cast it to the same collation. If the difference in collation isn't by design you can change the collation using a collation script/app in the scripts section: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/viewscript.asp?scriptid=471

Phil Nicholas

• Just as an aside, the use of the 'In' function in your example is really a bad choice for what you are trying to achieve.

You would be far better off using a derived table (otherwise known as a sub-query), for example,

select top 100 percent clientid

from table1

Left outer join #tmpTable tmp on table1.clientid = tmp.clientid

where tmp.clientid Is Null

order by clientid desc

If #tmpTable contains duplicate clientid's then replace #tmpTable in the statement above with (Select Distinct clientid From #tmpTable)

This will be a far more efficient query because the 'In' function is called multiple times, which means it would have to re-evaluate the select statement for each record in your Table1!!

Phil's comments regarding your collation issue still stands this is really just icing...

Cheers

Rob

• Another possible problem....#tablename creates a LOCAL temporary table. ##tablename creates a GLOBAL temporary table. You could be having a problem with your temporary table being out of 'scope'.

Try changing it to a global temporary table and see if that solves the issue.

-SQLBill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply