Problem with Upgrading Evaluation Edition

• Hi,

on my Server is the SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Evaluation Edition installed.

It expired in 70 days.

We have purchased an Full Version of the Enterprise Edition and now I will install this on this server without uninstalling the evaluation Edition.

I start the setup an chose there (sorry it´s a German edition) "Wartung"(maintenance) and then "Editionsaktualisierung"(Editionupdate).

At Finish, all Steps are successful, but my Server is already an Evaluation Edition.

Why is it not an normal "Enterprise Edition" ?

Please help. 70 days is not many time 🙁

Many Thanks

Andre

• Where do you check the version?

Did you upgrade all components? Database Engine, Tools etc

in Query window if you type select @@version, what is the output

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• joeroshan (7/10/2009)

Where do you check the version?

Did you upgrade all components? Database Engine, Tools etc

in Query window if you type select @@version, what is the output

The Output is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Evaluation Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

and yes, I upgrade all components.

• As far as I knew expired version cannot be upgraded.

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• ChandraMohan Nandula (7/10/2009)

As far as I knew expired version cannot be upgraded.

it expired in 70 Days, (= 2009-09-18)

• Not to pick on your English, but if it's Sept 2009, then "it will expire" makes sense. Expired means the event happened in the past. I think that has confused people.

AFAIK, you cannot upgrade an evaluation edition, expired or not. This page says it should work (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspx) and this blog( http://blogs.msdn.com/sanchan/archive/2006/07/27/681086.aspx) says to just run setup and if it's possible, it will do it.

Are you sure you targeted the default installation and not setup a 2nd instance?

• Hi,

Sorry, my English is bad, i know it and try my best.

It is only one Instance installed on this server.

I have read on the Mircosoft websites that it should work, but it doen´t work.

All checkpoints before and after the setup are green, but it is allready an evaluation editon.

Here is the Upgrade - Log

Overall summary:

Final result: Ausstehend

Exit code (Decimal): 0

Exit message: Ausstehend

Start time: 2009-07-10 16:33:52

End time: 2009-07-10 16:36:29

Requested action: EditionUpgrade

Machine Properties:

Machine name: SKINNER

Machine processor count: 4

OS version: Windows Server 2003

OS service pack: Service Pack 2

OS region: Deutschland

OS language: English (United States)

OS architecture: x64

Process architecture: 64 Bit

OS clustered: Nein

Product features discovered:

Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER Datenbankmoduldienste 1033 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER Datenbankmoduldienste 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER SQL Server-Replikation 1033 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER SQL Server-Replikation 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER Volltextsuche 1033 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.0.1798.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER Analysis Services 1033 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER Analysis Services 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER Reporting Services 1033 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 MSSQLSERVER MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER Reporting Services 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 Verwaltungstools - Einfach 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 Verwaltungstools - Vollständig 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 Konnektivität der Clienttools 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 Abwärtskompatibilität der Clienttools 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Sql Server 2008 Integration Services 1031 Enterprise Evaluation Edition 10.1.2531.0 Nein

Package properties:

Description: SQL Server Database Services 2008

SQLProductFamilyCode: {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}

ProductName: SQL2008

Type: RTM

Version: 10

SPLevel: 0

Installation location: E:\x64\setup

Installation edition: ENTERPRISE

Benutzereingabeeinstellungen:

ACTION: EditionUpgrade

CONFIGURATIONFILE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090710_163304\ConfigurationFile.ini

FEATURES: SQLENGINE,FULLTEXT,BOL,CE_RUNTIME,CE_TOOLS,BROWSER,WRITER

HELP: False

INDICATEPROGRESS: False

INSTANCENAME: MSSQLSERVER

MEDIASOURCE: E:

PID: *****

QUIET: False

QUIETSIMPLE: False

X86: False

Configuration file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090710_163304\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Feature: Datenbankmoduldienste

MSI status: Erfolgreich

Configuration status: Erfolgreich

Feature: SQL Writer

Feature: SQL-Browser

Feature: Volltextsuche

Feature: SQL Compact Edition-Tools

Feature: SQL Compact Edition-Laufzeit

Feature: SQL Server-Onlinedokumentation

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20090710_163304\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

• Andre,

No worries about the English. I pointed that out only as it seemed to be causing confusion. I couldn't even order food in German (I tried in Austria), so you're miles beyond my language skills.

It's hard to follow the details in German, but if you targeted setup at your default installation my guess is that

a) it doesn't work

b) it hasn't been ported to the German version.

As much as I hate to say it, things tend to work in English first, and the localization lags at times.

I would submit this as a bug to MS Support. Since it's documented as working, either they will find a way to help you, or log it as a bug, in which case you won't pay, but you'll be stuck with the uninstall/reinstall unless they have a workaround.

• Thanks for your Words.

I have already contacted our dealer who sold the sql server. He is MS Gold Partner.

Uninstall and Reinstall are the last ways i want to go. There so many things like Replication and Analysisserver and SSIS-Packages installed that it is many work to rebuild all this.

• I personally had to give up on the upgrade after a lot of headaches, though it wasn't a production server, so i wasnt put on the chopping block 🙂 i tried to go from an enterprise evaluation to developer edition though, but according to microsoft this is also supported.

I eventually got the database engine running again, but not SSIS and the management studio though.

i think you have a lot of work to do here, but would love to hear if you manage to pull this off!

• Hi Andre,

I don't know if it helps at all, but in the log you can see that the Database Service itself (Datenbankmoduldienste) were not changed at all by the upgrade process.

I think the best way would be to do a complete reinstall of SQL Server and not an edition upgrade. As Steve mentioned, it could well be that the German / English mix just doesn't work together very well.

I see that the OS is the englsih version, why not install the english version of SQL server? A language mix like this will probably result in a similar answer when you try to get support from MS.

Regards,

WilliamD

• Hi William,

thanks for your help.

I will try an complete reinstall next days.

BR Andre

PS: You are from Lingen/Germany?

• Yep thats me 🙂

Regards,

WilliamD

• und warum quäle ich mich dann hier mit meinem schlechten Englisch ab, wenn Du mehr als perfekt die deutsche Spache beherschst :hehe: 😉

Gruß aus Bocholt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply