Problem with shared data source

• I am using SQL Server 2008 (Not R2) and BIDS. I have set up several shared data sources. However when I go to build a new dataset, the drop down for Data source is blank, I have to go to make a new data source where I am then presented with the option of a new name for my data source that refers to a shared data source reference.

This seems redundant, am I doing something wrong? It seems to me that a shared data source should show up in the drop down list of the Dataset Propreties dialog rather than going the extra step of linking a new data source to an existing shared datasource.

Thanks,

• are you creating a new project or are you using the same one?

if you are creating a new project, you can copy and paste the shared datasources from the other project, that way you don't have to create them manually. If you are using the same project then it doesn't make any sense that you can't see/use them.

• I created a new project. Then I created a shared data source. Then I created a new report. When I went to create the dataset for the new report, my shared data sources did not show. I had to create a new data source and refer it to the shared data source. It just seems like a few extra clicks for no good reason.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply