Problem with scheduling a DTS task that processes Analysis Services cube

• Hi All,

I have a problem with scheduling an Analysis Services task.

When I execute the DTS package from EM, everything works fine.

When I schedule the package from SQL Agent, I get the following error when the job executes:

Error = -2147024770 (8007007E)

Error string: The specified module could not be found.

Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package

I am running SQL 2K SP3a with Analysis Services 2K SP3a on WIN Server 2003 Std Edition

I have tried different cubes on this server - all have same problem.  When I try this on my development box it all works fine (WIN XP Pro SP2)

Any ideas or suggestions?

• It most probably has to do with security.

When run under EM, you are using the authentication context of the SQL SERVER registration under EM.

When asked to run under SQL AGENT, it will use the authentication based on the user under which the SQL AGENT SERVICE is started. Checks if that service user has rights sufficient rights to access the package and then to process the cubes.

HABIB.

Kindest Regards,

Habib Zmerli (MVP)

• Hi HABIB - thanks for the response.

Some more info on the problem:

SQL Server Agent is running on the domain administrator account.  This account has been set as the owner of the DTS package and the SQL Agent job.  This account is a member of the sysadmin role.  This account also has rights to the AS cubes being processed.  (SQL Server is running on the local system account.)

What seems strange to me is that I can execute this package from EM on the server, but not from SQL Agent – which spells “security problem” to me.  However, the error: “The specified module could not be found.”, looks like something to do with a missing or unregistered dll.?

• I've run into this problem before.  You'll see a similar error if you try to open up a DTS package with OLAP processing in it on a SQL Server that does not have OLAP installed.

If you are running this from a different SQL Server Agent then the one the package is on, then this explains your problem.  If you are running it on the same server, I would double check your DTS package, then maybe re-install OLAP.

good luck.

cl

Signature is NULL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply