Problem with Noise Words

• I'm having difficulty diagnosing a problem with full-text search noise words.  I'm hoping that somebody might have come across this issue. 

Basically, I deleted the word "in" from the noise.eng file located in Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL/FTDATA/SQL Server/Config.  I did this so that a person could search for Indiana using the state abbreviation (a likely scenario with my search).

You should know that, prior to modifing the noise.eng file, I dropped the indexes on the tables in question, dropped the catalog and disabled the full-text functionality (like so):

exec sp_fulltext_table @tabname = 'JOBS_Openings', @action = 'drop'

exec sp_fulltext_catalog @ftcat = 'SBLKnowledgeFullText', @action = 'DROP'

EXEC sp_fulltext_database @action = 'DISABLE'

After removing the word "in" from noise.eng (I confirmed that this change was properly saved), I enabled full-text indexing on the server, created my catalog again, enabled FTS on the tables and columns, and re-populated the indexes (all done via T-SQL).

Unfortunately, even though I've rebuilt these indexes twice since modifying noise.eng, FTS is still working the same as before I modified this file.  In other words, it still ignores searches for "IN" (but has no trouble finding results when searching for the other state abbreviations). 

You might also like to know that I specifically refreshed "Microsoft Search" after modifying noise.eng...didn't help.

I'm stumped.  If anybody has any insight into what I might have missed, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Saw this, might be the answer [ http://www.mcse.ms/archive89-2004-3-509075.html ]

I'm wondering if you got the correct noise file. noise.eng is for British

English, noise.enu is for American English. Change the noise word lists you

find in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTDATA\SQLServer\Config

You will have to stop and start the mssearch service to make these changes.

• You're right.  I should've been modifying the .enu file.  It's always the little things.

Thanks a lot!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply