Problem with arithabort

• We are trying to insert/update into a table that in turn has indexed views.

We are using ODBC for SQL Server to connect and the connect string does not put an arithabort. We are getting an "arithabort/Quoted identifier(QI) option not set error". Question is instead of supplying the set arithabort and set QI on the connect string, could we provide a server wide setting.

As a test i did the following but did not help. This time i purposely unchecked my query analyzer options on arithabort and QI. I tried setting arithabort via sp_dboption on the DB and on the connection setting on SQLEM server properties and update still fails with the same error.

Does it mean that no matter what you configure on the server connection props or the DB options, you always need to hard code set arithabort and QI in order to avoid this error.

Any help or insights..

• In SQLEM you find under server properties - connections. What is that for ??

• Try to set 'ANSI Quoted identifier' through ODBC administrator.

• I have configured (arithabort on in SQL EM) on the server connection properties options. I have indexed views on the base table. My SQL inserts or updates are failing on the base table despite making this global setting. If i am in sql query analyzer inserts do not fail because of the default arithabort settings that come with SQLQA.

By setting the universal connection parameter setting(arithabort on) on SQLEM why does the insert still fail. Why does it still demand an arithabort.

• do u make restart for the whole copmuter and server !! may be this solve the problem.

any way .. I think i have face this problem before .. and when I get an old backup and restore it on server .. it works !!!

so sometimes this error is a funny error (Ad-Hoc problem)

I hope this helps you

Alamir Mohamed

Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Hi

I do not understand as to how could a reboot possibly help in this situation. Personally i do not think it is one of the settings that requires a reboot.

• I had this problem before and I believe I found out that the ODBC SQL Server driver always sets ARITHABORT OFF. You may have to set it ON with each user connection.

Another option may be to index specific columns from your base tables instead of indexing the view. That's what we did to get around the ARITHABORT issue.

Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply