Problem when copying from a table into another table

• Hi All.I have a wired situation here.

I have 2 tables: table 1 with let say 5 records on it and an empty table2 (same schema), Trying to copy records from table1 into table2. When my script says(i am trying to make my script simple)

with x as

(select * from table1

)

insert into table2

some of the records are missing. Let's say records 1 and 3 are missing.

when the same script says

(select * from table1

where records in (1,3)

)

insert into table2

1 and 3 records are getting inserted

how is this possible?

• Correction:

with x as

(select * from table1

)

insert into table2

select * from x

some of the records are missing. Let's say records 1 and 3 are missing.

when the same script says

(select * from table1

where records in (1,3)

)

insert into table2

select * from x

• It really isn't clear what problem you are having - but I am assuming the issue is that you are getting duplicates.  If that is the case it is because table2 does not have anything set to block duplicates.  You would need a unique constraint on the table definition to prevent duplicate rows from being inserted.

The code you have provided doesn't check for the rows that already exist - so as long as there are no constraints then SQL will just insert the rows as instructed.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• no duplicates. With the first script, I am trying to get all 5 records, but getting only 3 of them. With the second script, I am trying to see if I can insert the missing 2 records.2nd script inserts the missing records. My question is why script 1 could not get all records?

• Can you provide some code that demonstrates the problem, which we can run for ourselves?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply