Problem Upgrading Packages from 2008 R2 to 2016

• Hello All -

I am upgrading a ton of SSIS packages from 2008 R2 to 2016.  The problem is that whenever I run the packages in a job to test them I get an error that the script component task hasn't been upgraded.  This also happens whenever I open a package which contains a script task (which is almost all of our packages, some 150 of them).  The following steps are what i've done to upgrade the packages:

1)  Created a new SSIS solution and set the version to SQL Server 2016

2)  Added packages to the solution which then automatically upgrades them to 2016

3)  I open the XML code and view the properties to verify that it is set to version 8 (which is 2016)

4)  I'm setting the TargetFrameworkVersion to 4.0 - this translates to .NET 4.0

Both myself and my co-workers are confused as to why this is happening and how to fix it.  Have any of your encountered this problem before?

• does opening the script and compiling and saving it resolve this issue for may be a single package ?

BI Developer
    SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, IBM Cognos, IBM Infosphere Cubing services, Crystal reports, IBM DB2, SQL Server, T-SQL
    Please visit... ApplyBI

• Polymorphist - Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:48 AM

Hello All -

I am upgrading a ton of SSIS packages from 2008 R2 to 2016.  The problem is that whenever I run the packages in a job to test them I get an error that the script component task hasn't been upgraded.  This also happens whenever I open a package which contains a script task (which is almost all of our packages, some 150 of them).  The following steps are what i've done to upgrade the packages:

1)  Created a new SSIS solution and set the version to SQL Server 2016

2)  Added packages to the solution which then automatically upgrades them to 2016

3)  I open the XML code and view the properties to verify that it is set to version 8 (which is 2016)

4)  I'm setting the TargetFrameworkVersion to 4.0 - this translates to .NET 4.0

Both myself and my co-workers are confused as to why this is happening and how to fix it.  Have any of your encountered this problem before?

H4K is asking because typically, when you go enough versions forward in upgrading an SSIS package, you end up needing to actually re-compile your script tasks.   This is one of those cases.   If you edit every scrip task and "build" it, you'll likely solve the problem.   Is it going to be painful, yes.  Can you avoid it?  Not easily enough to make it worth trying to automate.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Hi,

Can ssis 2005 package directly upgrade to 2016?

As there is no enviroment except 2005 and 2016.

Please advise.

Thanks

• I had similar issue going from 2008R2 to 2016 - after much trial and error found that Solution's Configuration Properties - DeployementTargertVersion was set to SQL Server 2017 - changing this to SQL Server 2016 resolved the issue

Thanks

• Contactvikasn wrote:

Hi, Can ssis 2005 package directly upgrade to 2016? As there is no enviroment except 2005 and 2016. Please advise. Thanks        

I don't believe so, no. Likely the latest version would be 2005 -> 2012, as SQL Server 2005 was out of support for 2014+. You can try but I strongly recommend backing up your packages first.

I suspect you'll have better results by rebuilding your project from scratch if you're going from 2005 to 2016. SSIS changed a lot with 2012, and the difference is only greater when you get to 2016.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply