Problem system databases *.mdf file locations defaulted to c drive

• This is my first experience loading SQL 2005. In the install I was not given the option on what disk to send the data files to or the log files to. Both defaulted to the c disk drive which is fine for the logs, but I had wanted to place all data files onto a different disk.

All system databases are now on the c drive, and while I was able to find out how to define the database default locations for all new databases, the system databases are stuck on C.

Could this cause an issue with having the master.mdf file being in a different location and a smaller disk down the line. Both with restore capabilities and space usage? Is there a way to change the location of the master.mdf file? How?

Thanks

• Master probably won't grow overly large.  Normally you don't do a lot of stuff in master (or shouldn't be anyway...)  Don't know how big your C: drive is, but the files I would look at to take up space are user data files, log files and TempDB, in that order.  I wouldn't worry about moving the master MDF file.  Put your user databases and log files in other places and you'll probably be alright (note:  i have no idea how much space you have on your C: drive).

• The options for placement of files are within the setup dialog. User databases are easy to move, BOL will document moving of system databases, I guess, I haven't attempted this in 2005, it is not for the faint hearted in 2000 , especially if it's a production server !!!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Thanks for the advice.... the c: drive is 15G so I will leave things as they are. Just being overly cautious.

• 15GB is plenty of space for master DB and probably plenty of your user data as well.  You will get a performance boost if you put your user DB's and log files on different physical drives though.  Master should be just perfect where it is... 

• I was annoyed that it wasn't more obvious how to set the install locations for the various components in the installation, found it in the Advanced tab on the second try, but only certain pieces will install on a different drive.  Some pieces will only install on C: without complicated workarounds.

As far as the databases, you can change the default for new databases in Management Studio, Object Explorer, right click on the server, go to Properties, Database Settings.  I also moved tempdb with Alter database (example given in BOL).  Master and msdb are still on c:, hopefully I won't regret that later.

Holly

• You'll never know until you apply a service pack - Ithink sp1 for 2000 expected the system databases to be in the default install location - if they were not the service pack chnaged the locations - then when you restarted sql server it failed as it couldn't find the master and msdb databases !!

I hate all that stuff to the C: drive too.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply