Problem reinstalling reporting services

• HELP!

We have just rebuilt our IIS server which hosts the SRS Reporting Services. Now we can't get the reports services back.

The steps we took were as follows:

1) Backed up the encryption keys and stored them safe

2) Detached the reportserver and reportservertempdb database and moved them somewhere safe.

3) Turned the original IIS server off and the new IIS server on. We made sure it was using the same server name and IP address as the old server

4) Reinstalled SRS on the new IIS server and then installed SP1 (we haven't implemented SP2 yet).

At this point things were fine, the new installation was working perfectly.

We detached the new reportservice and reportservicetempdb databases and moved them safetly away, and replaced them with the original databases.

We attached the databases and sure enough got the "The report server is not initialized" error.

We ran rskeymgmt -a -f -p command to reinstall the original encyption keys and then ran IISReset.

We were still getting the "The report server is not initialized" error, so tried running the rskeymgmt and iisreset commands again.

Still no joy.

We then ran the command

rsactivate -c "d:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\reporting services\reportserver\rsreportserver.config"

command.

This returns the error:

Failure starting the web service:

The service is already activated.

Now when we try to connect to the SRS web administrator, we get the message:

This edition of Reporting Services does not support web farm deployment. (rsInvalidRSEditionConfiguration) Get Online Help

Which has baffled us as we do not have a web farm!

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SRS and even resetting the server, but always get exactly the same errors.

We have even tried the command

rskeymgmt -d

But when we connect, we can't recreate the security! The web management on the server tells us that the developers and publishers have access to and can see all the folders and reports, but as soon as any of them connect, some of the folders and reports are missing, some will not allow access to their properties, and some are available and allow access to everything.

We are getting to the stage where we will have to recreate and republish all the reports from scratch, an immense task and one we are trying to avoid.

ANY help would be appreciated.

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• Just for reference to anyone reading this.  We cracked it, but not without some interesting repercussions.

It appeared that the link between the NT groups and SRS's interpretation of them had broken down.

We had to destroy the encryption before we could do anything, but the odd thing was that we could see all the reports and folders directly from the server, but when an administrator logged in remotely - although permissions we set correctly - some objects were inaccessible, others could be seen but not manipulated, others could be seen and fully manipulated!

We solved it by creating a new root folder tree and moving the contents of each existing folder into the new folder.  We then destroyed the original folder and renamed the new one.  The permissions seemed to repair.

All we had to do then was go into EVERY data connection object and resupply the connections string, usernames and password.

BUT IT WORKED!  AFTER 3 DAYS PULLING MY HAIR OUT - IT WORKED!!!!

If anyone wants me, I'll be in the pub!

---------------------------------------
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply