Problem producing Multiple Excel files

• SQL Server 2000 sp3a, Win2k Server.

I have a DTS package that gets a recordset of codes and email addresses from the database which it stores in a global variable. It uses ActiveScript to create a copy of a blank Excel file, using the code from the recordset as part of the name and updates the datasource of the Excel connection with the new filename.

The datapump is then run using the same code as an input parameter for a stored procedure. Once that's complete it emails the resulting spreadsheet to the email address from the recordset, deletes the spreadsheet and then starts over again creating another Excel file with the next code.

This process works wonderfully. During one test run it sent out 350 emails without a hitch.

However, on some occasions I get the following error message,

"Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user."

Once this error is encountered, the only way to get the package to work again is to delete the Excel connection and create it again.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this message appears?

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Check "Close connection on completion" in the workflow properties for each step.

Let me know if this works.

JFB

• I've done that and all is ok.

After further testing I've found that it seems to occur about 1 in 4 times.

Could it be a timing issue?

--------------------

• Could be time, make sure you have Connection timeout setup properly in the disconnected edit option menu.

Also double check you code, looks like a connection still open.

Regards

JFB

• Based on a few unrelated google messages about MS Access and password protection, I decided to set the userid and password parameters each time I changed the datasource.

This seems to have fixed the problem, well I've run it six times without a problem, so I guess that constitutes a fix

--------------------

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply