Problem installing SP3a

• Hello everyone,

I just installed SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition onto a new Windows 2000 Server installation and now I'm trying to install SP3a, but I'm running into an error message.

It reads: "Setup was unable to verify the state of the server for an upgrade. Verify that the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup."

Once I click OK, the setup ends and SQL Server and SQL Server Agent are both stopped (they are both running when I begin the install). The server is able to start and the sa password provided is acceptable (nothing fancy about it). And I've also restarted the server and setup numerous times, only to get the same error message again and again. I've tried the install with NT Authentication and SQL Authentication, but neither seems to work.

Please HELP!!!

Thanks,

Jason

• Ok, I found the problem. Apparently, the cause of the problem is because there are spaces in the TEMP and/or TMP environment variables. See this site for more detail.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;328290

Once I heckeled the Network Admins and had them remove the spaces from the variables, the install went smoothly!!

Jason

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply